View topic - Wabakimi's Wendell Beckwith River Rat now on You Tube

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 8th, 2008, 7:30 pm 

Barry,
Great news. Just got back from Wabakimi with Uncle Phil. Ironically we ended our trip on Whitewater at the Mattice Lake Outfitters lodge right across from Best Island after we aborted our trip to Scallop Lake. Unfortunately we did not have time to get to the Beckwith cabins but I am sure the next trip had the opportunity. I will tune in to the podcast. Looking forward to your plug for the Wabakimi Project and hear what John Thomson has to say.

Cheers
Walt

PostPosted: September 11th, 2008, 8:40 am 

It made the CBC news at the half hour this morning.

What time will it be aired??

Good greif that is ironic, Wabakimi Project leader introducing Thompson.

Advice is a form of nostalgia; dispensing it is a way of wishing the past from the disposal--wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2008, 2:48 pm 

hello everyone!! i knew wendell beckwith from 1955-1965. He was a real life genius is so many ways[inventor of engine[boat motors] parts,invented lathe parts and designed pen parts for parker pen co., he designed and build many fireplaces[some of immense size],he was a great teacher to those who knew[he was delight]. he carved hundreds of items out of wood[fishing poles, benches, trash receptacles, canoes, outrigger canoes, one piece fishing boats, rafts, etc. and much more. wendell founded his wendell beckwith heritage memoriam in 1969. however, due to misunderstanding with harry wirth, noted san francisco architect it apperently never came to fruition. wendell
was overall not a self promoter but humble and loyal to his
friends. His legacy needs to be preserved and the humanity
he furthered[particularly the chippewas] benefitted greatly from his aid and comfort. to the casual observer he seems small but they are totally wrong and do not get it. i could write for days about wendell, he is the epitome of a great man. mike camp

i have been a member since october 8, 2008 and only missed five days during that time.  however, my log in data is never accurate. not sure why...but my password is secure already as far as i'm concerned. if i need to change email mr i don't why i do...its 10-03-13 i am concerned my info says 2 yrs and 2 mos. on this site when I've been here since 10/08/2008.

I've expressed this before with no compliance.....HELP1

PostPosted: December 6th, 2008, 9:32 am 

lynnmarshall wrote:
hello everyone!! i knew wendell beckwith from 1955-1965.

Lynn.
I first visited his cabin in the mid 70's (I think) after he died. I'm also fascinated by his life and work.
Might you be interested in speaking about him in the future - like February 2010 here in Toronto? - See http://www.wcsymposium.com/
(The upcoming Feb 13-14, 2009 program is prettyy well committed.)
My direct email is norbooks@interlog.com

PostPosted: December 6th, 2008, 12:52 pm 

hello george good to hear what you had to say! lynn marshall was my uncle he died 1981. wendell died in august, 1980. they
are both natives of whitewater, wisconsin which also has a
whitewater lake nearby. lynn's father named the ontario lake
in the late 1920's before that it had a chippewa name which i
don't know because i never saw it in writing. the book i am writing should be published sometime in 2009. if that happens you can count on me for feb 2010. Mainly, my book outlines
wendell's travels and travails from 1955 to 1965 and includes
background on wendell's academic activities which led to patents in 1960. i graduated from the university of wisconsin-
whitewater with a social work degree in 1980. i appreciate any comments because i am still researching background material for the book. good luck to you, george.....michael b. camp

PostPosted: December 6th, 2008, 2:52 pm 

lynnmarshall wrote:
hello george good to hear what you had to say! lynn marshall was my uncle he died 1981. wendell died in august, 1980. they
are both natives of whitewater, wisconsin which also has a
whitewater lake nearby. lynn's father named the ontario lake
in the late 1920's before that it had a chippewa name which i
don't know because i never saw it in writing. the book i am writing should be published sometime in 2009. if that happens you can count on me for feb 2010. Mainly, my book outlines
wendell's travels and travails from 1955 to 1965 and includes
background on wendell's academic activities which led to patents in 1960. i graduated from the university of wisconsin-
whitewater with a social work degree in 1980. i appreciate any comments because i am still researching background material for the book. good luck to you, george.....michael b. camp
Thanks. Yes, let's keep in touch.
I think I was at the cabin a year or two after Wendell died - so it must have been in the 1980s. There was a young woman who was looking after the property (I think) for the summer at the time. She was living in the snail cabin and everything still looked lived in. I was there again in 2007 and it was pretty run down, as the posted pictures show.
I gather he lived 'away' - in part so that he could explore his ideas about the universe without being distracted by conventional academic thinking. (I'm a physicist at the University of Toronto - so this notion intrigued me.)

PostPosted: December 6th, 2008, 6:01 pm 

thanks for your reply, george. i knew wendell beckwith well enough to have been told by an indisputable source that wendell took a chippewa wife and did have at least one offspring but i never heard anything further and that was 1968.
he was not reclusive during the time we were together. rather
he was warm, friendly and always working on a wood carving
project and trying various machine tools and lathe parts and pieces. Also, his friend harry wirth would fly up from chicago weekends with others. i think recluse or hermit for wendell is highly inaccurate. wendell loved every aspect of nature as i do.
lynn marshall and wendell were very best friends as far as i know. wendell would have wanted best island preserved as he tried hard to blend in with nature. i've got some big surprises in my book.wait..the real story is fascinating!! mike

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 2:00 am 

just to update everyone on my ten year history of my association with wendell beckwith i am writing i have had no specific replies from family members yet. although i hope to.
i have many pages of evidence and supporting papers. i stated his friend lynn marshall died in 1981 but it was 1983. they grew up together in whitewater, wisconsin. I KNOW WENDELL WOULD HAVE BEEN APPALLED BY THE CIVILIZATION CREEP THATS OVERTAKEN ONTARIO AND OTHER PARTS OF CANADA. i want to thank those who wrote about visiting best island. it was a joy to hear about it. i loved ontario of the 1950's. i last saw Best Island in july, 1965. i hope the canadian government will see fit to preserve at least some of the best island site for
posterity.my book should appear around february 2010. a nature lover all the time, michael b. camp/ long live chuck ryan!!!

i have been a member since october 8, 2008 and only missed five days during that time.  however, my log in data is never accurate. not sure why...but my password is secure already as far as i'm concerned. if i need to change email mr i don't why i do...its 10-03-13 i am concerned my info says 2 yrs and 2 mos. on this site when I've been here since 10/08/2008.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 1:17 pm 

Hello everyone. I have two canoes with wings!

I have visited Wendell Beckwith's cabins several times in the past and would like to join a "Friends of Wendell Beckwith" group or association to help restore the cabins, if such a group exists or is possible.

I have little faith in the OMNR stepping foward and leading a reconstruction project, although I'm sure they would cooperate if someone else took the reins in the reconstruction/restoration.

Meegwitch

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 3:07 pm 

thanks robin and ccr for caring about wendell beckwith he was an
unheralded genius and humanitarian. i think kevin callan might help if he can. i have no idea what condition best island is in.
it was alot of swamp when i was there last in 64 and 65. the
satellite from 2007 shows burnout areas south and west of best island. i am interested in doing something if i only knew more.
stay in touch. if anyone wants more info on wendell for now..
read my biography by searching..outdoorsica michael camp..
thanks to one and all. michael b. camp

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 11:48 pm 

I went up to Whitewater Lake in the summer of 63 with Wendell, Harry Wirth and the then mayor of Marquette, Mi. to kick off the building of Wendell's first cabin. I don't know if this is an active topic. Anybody interested in more info on the start of Wendell's Whitewater project can contact me at boats at wolfgangbrinck dot com

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 7:37 pm 

Just watched this Youtube video posted by someone who visited in September 2014 - a bit over twenty years since Callan did the River Rat video. I was on Best Island with my brother in 2011 and can see the change even in that three-year timespan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKcJSBLPtzc

Not looking so good.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2017, 9:47 pm 

I was there the Summer of 2015 and time was really starting to take it's toll.
Still an honor to have visited the place.
Here is a rough video of my walk through.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2hE3WV7LXZE

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 7:51 am 

Im heading to Whitewater Lake this summer. Can someone send me a waypoint so I dont miss these cabins.

Thanks

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 7:48 pm 

Well gnatwest I don't have any waypoints but I have been there and would say it is not hard to find. Just don't expect to see any buildings from the water. Maybe that is what throws people off. The buildings are further back in the woods. What you are really looking for is, for a lack of a better term, a clearing. The immediate shore there is rock. There is a fairly wide clear area there. At 2:00 minutes of this (my) video you can see it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEY-3mnAbWc

Notice there is a small point on the north side that sort of protects the landing there.