View topic - Bear worries in Algonquin...

It is currently December 4th, 2020, 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 10:34 am 

Good thing his fishing bud wasn't nearby.

Quote:
Protection in the wild
Posted By TED AND RICK FEARNLEY, SPECIAL TO THE LINDSAY POST

Greg and I always had fun fishing together. It was our hope to enjoy fresh fish for more than a few meals during our excursion into Algonquin Park.

Beyond Oxtongue Lake, there was a warden's cabin a few miles up river. We stopped for a chat with the warden, who told us that bears were a great problem that year.

He cautioned us not to leave any food out at night, as this would attract them and could create a dangerous situation for us. He also explained that we needed to keep all of our food high off the ground to discourage their interest.

We our way as I mulled over the official warnings. I felt fairly safe since I had been careful to pack my handy new nine inch hunting knife. Greg felt that a single swipe would be enough to bring any bear from a state of curiosity into full-fledged fury and ensure we both suffered the consequences.

We made camp that night in a picturesque area. We gathered fallen needles from various evergreens and piled them so they would act as mattresses for our sleeping bags. Then we pitched our bottomless tent over top of our makeshift beds. We set up our tea caddy and prepared our supper. Later that evening, after finishing our meal, we poured ourselves our first cup of tea. It had been on the fire for hours and was well steeped. In fact, it was blacker than the night and more acrid than the smoke from the campfire.

The nearby logs made for pleasant seating as we lounged, chatted, and sipped our bitter drink until early morning. I was dressed in my brand new khaki shorts, comfy shirt, and moccasins. I felt as if I was meant to live in the wild. We got undressed and were resting inside our sleeping bags when a thought came to me.

"What would I do if a bear did come into our tent?" I pondered the possibilities. Greg fell asleep, obviously less concerned about the bear situation.

Life's Lessons

Despite Greg's attitude, I felt I needed to have a weapon close at hand to use for an encounter with a bear. I sat up in the darkness to get my hunting knife that was near my feet just inside the tent, and placed it within arm's reach. I wanted to keep it close at hand so that if needed, I could retrieve it in an instant and thereby be prepared to fight off any impending danger.

Continuing with my plan, I laid back down in the position I typically slept. While holding the handle in my right hand, I swung the knife over my head and stabbed it into the earth just beyond my head. I tried a few times to grab it quickly.

Each time I wasn't able to do so, I repositioned it by repeatedly swinging and stabbing it into a better position. After I was content that it was in an ideal location for retrieval, I practice these actions to prove to myself that I could reach my weapon from virtually any sleeping position.

Locating the knife in this way gave me a feeling of greater security and allowed me to drift off. I awoke peacefully to birds singing early the next morning. I arose to dress in my special camping outfit and found my favourite shorts pinned to the earth with the blade of my nine inch hunting knife.

Once freed, I noticed that the rear end had been pierced seventeen times with the blade. The vigour with which I practiced my skilful manoeuvres ensured that the holes went straight through all folds of material in the garment, thereby multiplying the damage.

My best shorts had been mutilated to the extent that I could never wear them again.

Attempts to 'protect' myself in the wild by destroying the very thing that made me feel as if I belonged there, was ironic ... and kept Greg laughing well into the next day.

Life in the wild is fraught with surprises.

http://www.thepost.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1329063

PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 10:47 am 

One, two, three … seventeen, okay I better write that down in my diary.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 10:52 am 

I don't know where to begin :doh:

Some people should never leave their house.

What I really want to see is the letters to the editor!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 11:03 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

LIFE'S LESSONS:
"A Successful Collection of Failures"
Written by Ted Fearnley & Rick Fearnley
http://www.lifeslessons.ca/Intro.asp

Barbara

PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 11:23 am 

This story gives the term "stab in the dark" a whole new meaning... it seems that the story is true, although it may have happened some time ago.

From the knife lessons, errrr.... life lessons, website Barbara provided:

http://www.lifeslessons.ca/Preface.asp

Quote:
Many of the stories that follow were quite painful at the time. Although we can laugh at ourselves, the recalling of some still penetrates our core, causing us to relive the pain. Our book consists solely of true stories. However, we have sought out the humour in each situation and have told them in this vein. In fact, the writing of this book has proven to be cathartic and therapeutic for both of us. Hence, there has been no need for embellishment, nor have we succumbed to such a temptation.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 12:58 pm 

good thing his buddy doesn't get up in the night to pee - I assume Greg took away his weapon after this.

As twilight drifts to even.
- Pauline Johnson -

PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 6:07 pm 

frozentripper, Thanks for posting that piece.You made me smile.