View topic - Events, contests and other fun stuff.

It is currently September 15th, 2019, 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 7:45 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

After February's and March's photo contests we thought now would be a good time to sound out the membership and see what floated everyone's boat.

Some of the ideas that have floated around:

• Making the photo contest bi-monthly.
  • Presenting a photo theme to be pursued by MYCCR photographers this coming summer while tripping and having them send in their best work this autumn.
  • Prose competitions which could include trip report themes, wildlife themes, bear encounters, bare encounters, whatever.

There are many potential themes (unlimited actually) for photo and prose contests. It would be nice to get a bouquet, or rather, a full smörgåsbord of suggestions from the membership.

In fact, any fun suggestions that whip up some grass roots participation, no matter how far-fetched will be given due consideration. As long as they are legal, that is. Items such as pictures or videos of acts of canoe theft won't pass the censors.

Over to you.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 7:57 pm 

Quote:
bare encounters, whatever.

Do You?

http://www.canoeing.org/

Personally I would like to see more site development. Right now McAfee has this site safety questionable. I have absolutely no idea why as I havent had any problems.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 8:44 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

littleredcanoe wrote:
Quote:
bare encounters, whatever.

Do You?

http://www.canoeing.org/

Whoops. Caught me on a typo. I meant Baer, as in Max Baer. Anybody seen Miss Hathaway lately?

Those nude paddlers with the strict family values. What a bunch. I can bare-ly believe that. Does wearing Ray-Bans constitute inappropriate behavior?

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 7:46 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Looking for expressions of interest in the proposals outlined by Neil.

To be blunt: there's not much point in starting any of these things if there's no response from the membership.

Barbara

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 8:20 am 

I like the prose writing contest idea......

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 8:32 am 

Hiker Neil wrote:
Who has a good idea for a theme, or is no theme preferred?

Just a couple quick ideas. Some could be combined too. I am sure you could build a good list up with ideas from some of the other creative minds around here. And, I promise to contribute next time. :oops:

Dusk
Dawn
Bad Weather
Campsites
Reflections
Landscape
Birds
Wildlife
Macro/closeup
Plant life
Insects

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 8:47 am 

On another thread I posted this

jcw41 wrote:
At first I thought that a new category every month was a good idea but now I am having second thoughts.

One thing that I found especially nice about seeing the pictures in the February contest was that they illustrated the breadth of experiences that we get from canoeing.
...rivers, lakes, good friends, thrills, skills, scenery, family, peacefulness, solitude, beauty, day, night etc...

I think that keeping the contest wide open, at least for now, it will have a better chance to build interest.

I still feel that way.
Jim

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 9:07 am 

I like the idea of a photo or video assignment for this winter.
Tell your summer advneture story in pictures.
awards form the best excuse
awards for the best overall
award for the best daytrip (these are super important in my mind)

sort of like the reel paddling film festival of CCR

one catigory for stills, one for video

hell man, it should keep talk of seals Fartley Mowatt, red necked torries and all the ancilliary hot potatoes at bay until at least March :P
I'll even submit something from the "Cranky old Men's Club"

Prose and pictures....I'm liking that too.....I bet Kingfisher would make a hard target to beat! :wink:

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 9:28 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of, would really like to hear feedback from the members:

Quote:
I was thinking of something along this line:

Special themed contests to run separately, independantly, from the Photo of the Month contests.

These contests would need to have submission periods that run during the "prime" canoeing season....May to October.

They would need to be announced fairly early. And the themes would be more specific, so that people would need to plan ahead, to incorporate the theme(s) in their trip planning.

"Macro...up close and personal"
"North of 60"
"Antlers 'R Us"
"Furthest I've travelled from home"
"Coastal Inspirations"
"Quotations"

Prose contests would need some guidelines put forth....# of words, themes, etc.

Gail, video contests are an interesting idea, but I don't think we have the technical capability to run them here.

Trying to keep things as simple and straight-forward as possible, using the forum setup and software that we have now.

Barbara

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 10:08 am 

Oh, you want to Host the entire thing here?
I was thinking something simple like the utube videos I see of river trips....forces people to keep it to 10 minutes

just assumed because you can link utube video that it was doeable....if you have a vision and set of guidlines then go with those then. Hell, saw your crisp retort and just wingged a response. Didn't realize you already had parameters.

I do think though that extending the period or
say "we will have a summer 2010 contest start your prep now "is better then everyone looking throught their archives

Gets people snapping pictures of current conditions.......and levels the playing field so all the new to the board people can come play too

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 11:06 am 

It's always been interesting to see where people have camped and why there... maybe the all-time best canoe campsite article, photo combined with short written piece on why it's the best... under 250 or 500 words so that readers don't lose interest.

Rules:

(1) Campsite must be accessed by canoe... actually, there's been some pretty good writing on drive-in campsites as well, so maybe those could be included. Maybe best campsite on water.

(2) Photographer and writer must have camped there.

(3) Location of campsite must be included in text.

Several photos combined with text might be more effective than just one photo, showing how the time was spent there... something like a short magazine article.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 3:52 pm 

I would like the "Photo of the Month" contest to continue. Keeps us in touch and it is a good way to share what we have been doing and where we've been.
I have been inspired to visit places because of viewing someone else's photos.

The idea of a theme could work good in the off-season. Gives us a reason to search thru past seasons photos.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2010, 9:05 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
It's always been interesting to see where people have camped and why there... maybe the all-time best canoe campsite article, photo combined with short written piece on why it's the best... under 250 or 500 words so that readers don't lose interest.

Rules:

(1) Campsite must be accessed by canoe... actually, there's been some pretty good writing on drive-in campsites as well, so maybe those could be included. Maybe best campsite on water.

(2) Photographer and writer must have camped there.

(3) Location of campsite must be included in text.

Several photos combined with text might be more effective than just one photo, showing how the time was spent there... something like a short magazine article.

I second this idea. Real good one. Small write up with pics of favorite spot to camp with a small write up on why you think that specific spot is the best.

Excellent idea.

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 7:47 am 

Prose ideas.
Funniest camp story.
Scariest trip story.
Best trip story.
Saddest story.
etc.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 7:54 am 

TY, Cobain! I've enjoyed reading about the places you've described at your blog... some great places to visit for an overnight stay.

The campsite location I thought of describing was Philip Edward Island on Georgian Bay's north shore... AFAIK it's still all unregulated crown land and one can camp anywhere.

The place I picked was in a little inlet near the west end, sheltered from waves but still with a good view out over the bay for those cosmic sunset and twilight skies. I have the photos, they're still slides and I'll need to have them scanned for The Annual CCR All-Time Best Campsite Competition Prize (short photo documentary under 250 words).

:wink: