View topic - Trippin with m.s.

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trippin with m.s.
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 7:06 pm 

I was just wondering if there is any other trippers out there with ms and what you do to keep thing as normal as possible while trippin.

Post subject: Re: Trippin with m.s.
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 9:10 pm 

No takers.....
I have dealt with various problems like this in other sports.
Only ms in hockey.
But in all instances it is a matter of adapting, creating solutions that work.
If there was a specific issue I would post the problem or invite or visit some paddlers that have the skill and are flexible in how they trip.
Brainstorming is a good solution, especially on how the ms affects the ability to perform the variety of skills that one encounters while tripping.
It is worth the effort and I applaud the inquire :clap:
The more we can open paddles ports to others the better.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 9:16 am 

Wow, I really applaud the effort required for someone with MS to undertake canoe tripping. :clap: :clap: :clap: I wish for the life of me that I could offer more than encouraging words. But I have very limited experience with MS. Jeff seems to have some excellent solutions. I suspect that there are very few canoe trippers with MS, and likely fewer yet that frequent MyCCR. That all said, I think that people with MS can adapt to trip just like anyone else... by doing trips with other people who are understanding and willing to work with any compromises that MS may create for an individual. Heck, I'd be willing to trip with someone with MS, and to learn more myself in the process.

I dearly wish I could be of greater assistance.

PK

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 3:30 pm 

My wife has been diagnosed with MS. Thankfully, her symptoms so far are quite mild, have not progressed, and do not interfere with her activity much. We canoe trip, and do lots of other active things.

The following relates only to her experience, which is very mild. If you tripped with us, you'd notice that I have a limp and we're both old and slow, but I doubt you'd notice her MS.

That said:

(1) She is very susceptible to heat stress. This actually makes canoe tripping, with nice cool water always available, better than hiking or other terrestrial activities in the back country.

(2) She is very susceptible to fatigue, especially if she's not eaten. We plan for frequent breaks, and for lots of little meals. (If left to my own devices, I'd probably eat a big breakfast, then go all day until a late dinner. Her system ends up being a lot more pleasant.)

(3) Dehydration is a major issue. As with food, frequent water breaks.

(4) Not sure if this is MS related, but her doctor thinks it might be. She gets massive migraines around her period. These are debilitating, and we plan for rest days when they can be anticipated. Fortunately she is very regular.

(5) She has some moderate balance issues. I get to portage the canoe or any other difficult loads--she carries lighter packs, and uses a walking stick.

One issue we faced in the past is that she required an injectable medication that had to be kept refrigerated. This required packing a cooler with enough ice to last as long as we were on the water. Fortunately, her doctor has taken off that medication, and in fact she now takes nothing. Many MS medications seem to increase susceptibility to the sun, and this might be a big factor in a canoe on open water.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 7:01 pm 

I started canoeing again after having cancer 6 years ago and started trippin with friends (Claude and Shelly) 3 or 4 years ago. I have similar problems has your wife along with others. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago when my hearing went in one ear and was sent for a MRI, So much for stress and age being the problem. I use my hat and fill it with water to cool down and take a dip when my wife tells me to. Cant seem to figure out when my problems are getting worse on my own, maybe its stubborness or cognitive who knows. My injection of choice is Copaxone which is supposed to be refridgerated but is stable for thirty days up to 30 degress. When it gets hot I waterproof the container and put it in the lake at the campsite with a marker of some sort, dont forget the marker. My biggest problem Im facing is my 70 pound royalex canoe, its a killer on the nerve pain and muscle weakness in my legs but in the end its the trip that counts right and why do the portages have to be so long anyways.lol. Thanks

PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 9:54 am 

It's interesting that you mention hearing loss as your first MS symptom. My wife has terrible hearing, but we've always assumed that was unrelated to her MS. She has an aunt who lost most of her hearing in her teens, and her mother has needed hearing aids since middle age.

I keep urging her to try a hearing aid, but she says only being able to hear half of what I say is what saves our marriage. :lol:

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 2:34 pm 

Hey pknoerr maybe someday we'll get the chance to paddle together ,im of all summer. Heck when my legs give out ill even let you carry my stuff over the portages lol, there getting weak just thinin about it.