View topic - Just the new guy saying hi.

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 27th, 2016, 4:45 pm 

G'day,

Just saying hi to all the myccr people. I am new here but certainly not new to the outdoors. I have been reading on this forum for awhile(years!!) now and decided to join the crew.

A bit about me.... I am a carpenter/woodworker and I enjoy flying floatplanes when business is slow. If you have portaged in the Muskokas last season and saw a white Cessna, chances are it was someone else lol. I am in the market for a new Prospector(previous prospector was Langford 16' fibreglass) canoe and really don't want to break my back anymore so I am thinking of getting a NC in aramid lite. If anyone thinks this material is not good for mostly flat water fishing/tripping and hunting. Let Me Know!! If you are however going to suggest another hull design I urge you not to waste your energy. Prospectors have always served me well so its more of a layup/weight issue.

I hope to here from you soon. I won't bite!

Last edited by Floats n Boats on August 18th, 2017, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2016, 10:08 pm 

Welcome aboard :)

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 7:26 am 

Sam82 wrote:

Thank you for the warm welcome! A bit of a tough crowd eh? Over 80 views and only one "hello". C'mon people! We are all in this together. Break up is in a couple months so show some enthusiasm!!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 7:49 am 

Welcome aboard Floats n Boats :thumbup:

I've been told a lot people nowadays view various forums with cellphones , tablets and other small devices while traveling and often it's hard to use these devices to write in these posts , while reading the posts is a lot easier

I have no such devices so I would not know , but since we're in the middle of winter I think most people are hibernating anyway .... ehehe

Takes a while to get some responses but we all love you already and you're welcome to land in the lake behind my house this summer and take me for a ride wayyyyy up north where the muskies are 4 feet long :D

Cheers ..... Vinny

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 8:14 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Welcome to the forum Floats n Boats!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 8:20 am 

Floats n Boats wrote:
Sam82 wrote:

Thank you for the warm welcome! A bit of a tough crowd eh? Over 80 views and only one "hello". C'mon people! We are all in this together. Break up is in a couple months so show some enthusiasm!!

Lol! That made me laugh :)

Yes! Hope to be paddling in a month and a half. Currently very busy trip planning for this year...I carry a notepad around with me everywhere to jot things down that I think of on the spot. Nice to see a fellow paddler excited for spring!

Cheers!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 11:35 am 

Floats n Boats wrote:
Sam82 wrote:

And 72 of them were bots.. :rofl: Take heart. I don't post here on a phone either. Its cumbersome to write more than a one liner.

And that packing for an upcoming canoe trip.. Take care of yourself so that when you are retired you can paddle on anytime.

Aramid lite . Kevlar Light..[img]
Image[/img]

I trust you won't do as I did and run over a sharp rocked waterfall. I finished up the trip in Temagami courtesy lots of duct tape.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 12:34 pm 

Welcome to the site. Sorry, can't help with the lay-up question.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2016, 12:58 pm 

Thats the warm welcome that i was hoping for! Littleredcanoe, i hope i don't! But that is what i am afraid of with that material. I do put my gear through the paces and worry that i will ruin it quite easily. I spoke with NC and they recommended i go towards the tuff stuff option. Seeing that photo scared me a bit!

PostPosted: January 30th, 2016, 12:35 am 

Hey Floats n Boats hi, I'm pretty new too. This is a fabulous resource, with many knowledgeable people.

Do you pack your canoe on your floatplane? I often thought floatplane camping might be fun-- do you get a chance to do that?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2016, 5:46 pm 

Peach Canoe wrote:
Hey Floats n Boats hi, I'm pretty new too. This is a fabulous resource, with many knowledgeable people.

Do you pack your canoe on your floatplane? I often thought floatplane camping might be fun-- do you get a chance to do that?

No sir. I rent a cessna 172 on floats. You could pack a boat on a 185 but you can only take yourself. This is more a beaver/otter type thing which I dont have access nor the money($500+/hr) to. Heard lots of horror stories about bad tie downs.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2016, 6:45 pm 

Tie downs still legal? I am aware that there is a passenger reduction penalty per boat but I heard that external tiedowns are becoming more restricted.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 8:52 pm 

Pakcanoe

a stick frame with a roll out hull

It fits in a duffel bag. Therefore it pack into the float plane instead of on to floats/struts

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 10:40 pm 

Not stick frame. My Pakcanoe is framed with alu tubing. But we might be getting OT. I'm enquiring about loads for a reason. Lake to lake I would rather use hardshell.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 1:21 pm 

The only true way to know the limitations is to speak with the outfitter that provides fly-in services. Each plane has their own set of weight/balance and CG limits. Plus they may have placards stating the limits to external loads, plus than you have the CAR's(air regs). Wow it gets complicated but essentially you need to know exactly!!! how much your stuff weighs plus dimensions. Most bush pilots will know almost immediately if it's safe or not. I suggest looking for outfitters with Cessna caravans, beavers and otters. I have never flown with an external load but have helped set the planes up for this(pretty cool stuff). I hope this helps.