View topic - Just the new guy saying hi.

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 1:31 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Hey, Floats, you heading to the GATHERING OF THE CLASSICS at Edenvale?

http://www.challenger.ca/edenvale_openhouse.html
Edenvale Aerodrome - SATURDAY AUGUST 6, 2016 - 10 am to 4 pm
Rain Date Sunday August 7, 2016

:thumbup:

Barbara

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 1:42 pm 

Barbara wrote:
Hey, Floats, you heading to the GATHERING OF THE CLASSICS at Edenvale?

http://www.challenger.ca/edenvale_openhouse.html
Edenvale Aerodrome - SATURDAY AUGUST 6, 2016 - 10 am to 4 pm
Rain Date Sunday August 7, 2016

:thumbup:

Barbara

Sadly I am not. I will be in Algonquin getting eatin alive by deer flies!! But fresh blueberries should still be around depending on the season.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 10:58 pm 

Welcome aboard FnB. This is a great forum with awesome and diverse members. I'm sure you'll give as much as you get.

Brad

PostPosted: February 12th, 2016, 10:26 am 

Hello Floats n Boats,

I think that if you picked up a NC Tuff Stuff Prospector you can't go wrong. I own 3 NC canoes - a Pal and a Cronje in Kev/Spec, and a Prospector in RX. If I was looking for a great all-rounder that would put up with years of tripping, and be a good balance between weight and durability, I would grab a 16' NC Prospector in the Tuff Stuff layup. For me, it's a "no brainer".

I'd also go with wood trim for sure. A bit of oiling twice per year, but definitely worth it. Seeing as you're a wood worker, I'm guessing you've already made this decision.

Welcome to CCR!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: February 12th, 2016, 11:55 am 

Thank for your input my good man. I made a decision lastweek and bought a new Langford Prospector 16.6 in ultralite kevlar with wood trim. I have experience with both NC and Langford canoes. I actually grew up using Langfords all my life but the NC company and I couldnt make a deal that suited both parties. Love both companies but this season it goes to Langford. Most likely i will get a tuffstuff end of season sale. Cheers and see you on the lake.

canoeguitar wrote:
Hello Floats n Boats,

I think that if you picked up a NC Tuff Stuff Prospector you can't go wrong. I own 3 NC canoes - a Pal and a Cronje in Kev/Spec, and a Prospector in RX. If I was looking for a great all-rounder that would put up with years of tripping, and be a good balance between weight and durability, I would grab a 16' NC Prospector in the Tuff Stuff layup. For me, it's a "no brainer".

I'd also go with wood trim for sure. A bit of oiling twice per year, but definitely worth it. Seeing as you're a wood worker, I'm guessing you've already made this decision.

Welcome to CCR!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2016, 12:38 pm 

Hey ! That's what I have been paddling for the last 15 years. She has many scars of "experience" but still paddles beautifully. Wood trim is mandatory for my watercraft selection criteria.

Attachment:
File comment: Langford 16.6 Prospector on Island Lake
2013.07 Island Lake 163ee.jpg
2013.07 Island Lake 163ee.jpg [ 75.07 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]

PostPosted: February 13th, 2016, 11:32 am 

Good to see new blood aboard. I don't know about the rest of you, but with work, 2 parents with Alzheimer’s, 2 difficult nephews and a teen at home (the latter signs up for every sporting/scouting/social activity there is), plus my husband and I are working 55 hr + weeks/weekend I barely have time to pop in and lurk. I just book mark everything hoping to come back in one year to hit reply :lol: But for a new guy, I will make an exception-Welcome Floats n Boats!

What did the weight come in at on your new boat?

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2016, 1:07 pm 

Thanks Cheryl, glad that you can make an exception! The weight i cannot comment on as I placed the order last week. The weight they claim is 40lbs. When i was in Dwight they had one just like the one i ordered and I can safely say that 1000M+ portage wont be painful. I will post pics once I get it, with some luck before May!!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2016, 1:23 pm 

Painful can be relative - a lot of it depends on the comfort. What yoke did you get? (and there are lots of tips on this site how to make a heavy boat feel lighter by making it more comfortablet o carry).

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 2:45 pm 

Welcome !!!!

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 7:47 am 

Hey you mentioned in another thread that you own a paddle company - just curious which one.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 4:47 pm 

alan.mckay wrote:
Hey you mentioned in another thread that you own a paddle company - just curious which one.

Hi Alan, I understand your curiosity but I am more curious as to why pulled up an old thread from almost a year and a half ago to ask this question rather than on your recent thread where I mentioned my paddle company today? *huh?*

Anyways we have a small paddle company called Hunter&Harris and our Estore is almost ready to go live. I can certainly message you when it does and we hope you check it out! :thumbup:

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 9:54 pm 

I am old school - asking you in the other thread would have been "thread drift" so I looked for a more appropriate thread to ask in :-)

PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 6:36 am 

alan.mckay wrote:
I am old school - asking you in the other thread would have been "thread drift" so I looked for a more appropriate thread to ask in :-)

I apologize to all forum members for my simple question but what is “thread drift”?
Anyhoo if your more curious about our company I urge you to check this thread here http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45743

If that does not quench your thirst then I invite you to PM us or if you can wait another week or so check out our website which should be live for everyone.

Oh and Happy Mothers Day!!!!! To all those fantastic MYCCR mothers out there today!

PostPosted: May 14th, 2017, 7:35 am 

drift is a milder, more gradual form of hijacking---I hope that helps, you being a pilot and all! :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.