View topic - Older trippers - How to get out there and enjoy it.

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: April 19th, 2017, 11:47 am 

No I didn't mean trekking poles. I meant these, but I wonder how much is hype...they charge to teach you how to walk now...
http://www.insideoutphysio.com/index.cfm?id=45179

PostPosted: April 19th, 2017, 12:42 pm 

Separating the hype from the real benefits is a challenge. Can be a fun challenge, though. Silly unsophisticated consumer that I am, I don't see much, if any, difference between telescoping ski poles, trekking poles, and these "Nordic Walking Poles". I just viewed 3 enthusiastic promo clips, themselves linked to dozens of awe-inspiring products. I feel dizzy from the sheer mental effort of deciding which product I could live without. After today's copious lunch during falling barometric pressure, I'll be needing poles to help me get from the kitchen table to the couch. In the now infamous physiotherapy-walking pole advertisement I'm sure I picked up an unsubtle hint that walking poles could, in fact, should, be a sexy alternative to a full-blown four-footed walker. Will that be in carbon, aluminum, fibreglass, or bamboo, sir? And while we're on it, where did I put those damned in-line roller skates? Come to think of it, where did all those in-line skaters go? I know! And you know, too! They traded in their skates for new poles! All of which begs the question: is there a danger that pole-walking could lead the weaker amongst us to engage in pole-dancing?

PostPosted: April 19th, 2017, 4:06 pm 

Alex 1 said
Quote:
but I wonder how much is hype...they charge to teach you how to walk now...

It is just a weeeee bit of hype!

You really don't need lessons.

The Twist poles to tighten are not as nice as the quick release clamps.

But they do save a ton of energy when you are trail walking where the footing is not even.

Trouble is there are people who will not do anything unless they go to a over hyped lesson..... and then they become..... (insert new activity here) snobs and are now instant experts and then they go buy a go pro and set up a facebook page and are not the best things since........ and no-one ever did this activity before and those that came before and did the exact same thing were from the stone age..... and are irreverent .....

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 20th, 2017, 5:53 am 

This is the effective way to use poles for equally soliciting both the upper and lower body muscles while being an effective cardio workout as well. Poles and a steep hill.

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 8:25 am 

Well we just finished a canoe trip with an "older" group.
Ray was the elder statesman of us at a spry 84 this year.
I think i have a few more aches and pains than Ray, and this year with my lack of KMs on the water (only about 90) showed, but we had decent weather, and 2 rest days built into the trip.
This year I opted for a bigger barrel to carry my food and kitchen stuff together, usually I separate and do another carry (and the camera barrel is also another one :oops: )
But that was a mistake, I should have done more carries with less weight, even with a very good barrel harness the little connector muscles were not ready for the weight.
So in the end, I was a very slow poke on the carries, but I stopped and rested more, which isn't a bad thing when you consider the views.

But here is some more inspiration for you.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4 ... commercial

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 5:00 am 

Jeff, you are not alone as we all slow down with age. It's about taking the time to soak it all in rather than conquer it. I now treat every trip as possibly my last one. So emotions add to the experience.

G.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 9:13 am 

Well I had a set back, back in May looking for a boat along a log jam I fell through a root ball and messed up my ankle a bit, I did not give it time to heal properly and a month later I really suffered.
Did manage to get some easy boating in, but I needed help to get the boat to the water.
So solo stuff has been off the table as I am just getting back to walking short distances in a semi normal walk, and using a cane :-?
During this time a long time paddling friend has had some serious heart issues, but I have already invited him when he recovers to do some of our more relaxed type of trips.
I am back to the point I can load the boats again which means I should be able to exercise and lose the weight I gained doing .... not so much :roll:

This is not to make people feel sorry, but to help inspire other paddlers that there are still ways to get out and not quit to early.
I think we should have a "Sherpas needed and Available" in the Paddlers wanted section. 8)
Jeff

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 9:33 am 

jedi jeffi wrote:
This is not to make people feel sorry, but to help inspire other paddlers that there are still ways to get out and not quit to early.
I think we should have a "Sherpas needed and Available" in the Paddlers wanted section. 8)
Jeff

Sorry to hear about the injuries Jeff. You are quite right though that one can (should) find other ways. In our other sport (orienteering) I haven't really been able to run for some years, but we have found that longer slower races are still a lot of fun.
Same thing with canoeing. Simple trips. AND our granddaughters are acting as Sherpas on our family trip.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 5:38 am 

Sorry to hear about your ankle Jeff. I hurt my ankle badly about 25 years ago and thought it would heal on it's own. Bad decision. Now, all those years later, I still have pain and walk with a limp. Use to be a runner. Not any more. Now try to choose canoe routes with few portages. As we age we have to adjust I suppose. Enjoy your summer.

GG

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 4:16 pm 

I am kind of the pretender here....being only 59. I do have a bad heart and a couple of stents though so I claim membership. I have had to reduce the distance I travel in a day. We still do ports, and yes I still take a chainsaw and open them up as required. I have a pretty firm work/rest schedule though, meaning way less gets done every day.

We try to pick easier routes now. We also limit our packs to 30lbs which means either another carry or less gear. The ultra light option helps a bit too but I dont have a lot of that stuff. The kevlar tandem helps a lot, but my solo is a wood canvas 15 foot Huron so that needs addressing. Solo trips are less of an occurence than they used to be. No one is too keen on me doing that.
I do try to condition myself a little but with the heart issues I have no stamina to speak of and exercise is pretty pointless. I mostly do weight training. Walking can be difficult.

I have tripped with both Robin and follow LRC's adventures closely. She is a tough lady ...I hope I can still be out there as long as some of you have been.

Christine

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 1:52 pm 

Nah. Never mess with a chainsaw wielding mechanic
This is my wimp year. Bowron with cart. I have to do better

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 3:48 pm 

Do you think Bowron will be open? the fires on Isaac are crazy, and a friend out west who is booked on for 2 weeks from now has been told all trips have been cancelled. Park is currently closed; there is some info on the BC Parks reservation page indicating refunds in the event of park closure as long as you cancel in advance.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 4:46 am 

While on the way out from a small 5 day trip into North Tea Lake, we met an elderly couple on a portage: he was 89 and she was a very spry and spunky 72. Had a nice chat with them and found out that that had only been tripping for about 22 years. So ... he must have started and 67 ... how cool is that! They had all the latest gear, clothing and a sat phone in case of an emergency.

Now, I must tell you that they did have some help. One of the staff at Northern Wilderness Outfitters paddled with them and helped them across the two portages going in to North Tea Lake. She was planning to meet them, again, at the beginning of the first portage on their way out.

So, I am not sure what the couple paid for the service but the total "Sherpa" time would have been about 10 hours.

Very encouraging!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 7:16 am 

I'm starting to feel it(will be 54 next month), my ww boat seems to be getting heavier every year. I broke my ankle on the last portage of our last trip..............flattest part of the trail and about 100 feet from the end:(
I will really start thinking about what future trips I go on and maybe find a lighter ww boat

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 11:31 am 

I remember 54 as though it were adolescence.

Subject to injury, a disciplined training program, commencing as much as 3 months before the trip, should be enough to keep someone on the trail until 70 or maybe even 80. Continuity of training is far more important than pushing yourself to the max every workout. In fact, pushing yourself to the max typically creates motivation issues. I know people over 80 who are still out on the water - I hope I grow up to be one of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next