View topic - Retirement Community for Wilderness Canoeists??

It is currently November 24th, 2020, 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 6:29 pm 

Quote:
However, I think the way to go for a US citizen would be to consult with a qualified immigration attorney rather than to try figure it out by myself.

Yes.. been going round and round on the Immigration website.. so confused as to the requirements.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 8:27 am 

Thank you Frankr , keep us posted on what the attorney will tell you , the information may be useful to other people in the future

Cheers ...... Vincent

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 9:24 am 

Pyareo acknowledges the independence of its residents and solicits their opinions about their care and assistance. If 7 outdoorsy people moved in, the facility would bend to their wishes. It could become an assisted-paddling, camping, and (especially) portaging place. Maybe there could be a progression from wall tent, to wood-heated log cabin w/ outhouse, to heated and plumbed cabin, and then a final move into the large building where there's radiant heat, cooked meals, drivers, and cleaners.

I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life . . . and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 8:46 am 

I have friends who retired in Elliot Lake and loved it for many years, fishing in the summer, ATV'ing and snowmobiling in the winter along with ice fishing. A very outdoors active senior population. Unfortunately the town has been in decline in recent years with the collapse of their mall starting the process. My friends have since moved South and are enjoying retirement in Kitchener now. I believe there are canoers to be found everywhere as I regularly come across them in my travels, but most of us enjoy the areas with little population, which means less services available for retirees. I do love the idea of a Northern retirement centre for outdoor active people. Perhaps combining hikers, canoers, cyclists, painters, etc to form a community of like-minded retirees. Love of the outdoors. Great idea Frankr.

Brad

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 5:38 pm 

I have had a couple of older friends move into independent living apartments in retirement communities. They paid a monthly rent which included good meals in a dining hall that they could walk to indoors. Both have subsequently passed. One needed to move from the apartment to nursing care on the premises.

It was a really good solution to the issues presented by being 85. There were many people entering the facility in their mid 70s, almost always with physical limitations. It was a good solution socially as well. There were many good people there for them to interact with.

When my time comes, to go to a place like that, but filled with serious outdoor people, what a great time that would be. We could still enjoy shorter excursions. We could show slides of our various trips in a community room, hoot, and holler. We might have to bribe the staff to let us drink too much cold beer as we reminisced.

I am keeping my eyes out. I actually think there would be a good market, if someone could just put the facility together.