View topic - Float plane in with a dog

It is currently November 24th, 2020, 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 1st, 2017, 8:43 pm 

Has anyone taken their dog on a fly-in trip? Are their federal or provincial laws that must be headed, or is it pretty much at the discretion of the pilot. If this is something that is in the realm of possibilities I want to start experimenting with ear protection options for my sidekick. If others have done it, please share your experience and knowledge. Thanks.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 7:18 am 

Steve:
It is up to the pilot. When booking a flight, tell the pilot /owner that you want to take your dog along and describe the size, breed etc.

I have had a few dogs over the years that have done fly-in trips with me with no problems.

My last dog Pepper, a JRT had at least a dozen fly in trips over her lifetime. The noise never bothered her and she usually sat up in a seat and looked out the window like a normal passenger would.

The only time she was bothered with noise was on a commercial West Jet flight going from Winnipeg to Hamilton. She was dazed and stunned somewhat after getting out of the baggage compartment.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 8:06 am 

We flew out of York Factory the same day as another group with their dog. Something to keep in mind is if your trip involves a train ride, the dog wasn't allowed on Via during summer months. The group had to fly their dog back to Winnipeg via commercial flight while her owner took the train.

The pilot loved having the dog on his flight.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 8:53 am 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
Something to keep in mind is if your trip involves a train ride, the dog wasn't allowed on Via during summer months.

(Another trip I have in mind is the lower half of the Missinaibi - but the dog would have to ride back out in a crate in the baggage car. That would require crate training - and the logistics of getting a dog crate to Moosonee...). -S

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 9:17 am 

Neil:
Was your trip out of York Factory recent, in the past few years? I ask because I have used Via Rail on a number of occasions to transport my dog on summer canoe trips. Most of these trips were along the South side of Wabakimi PP. Armstrong to Allanwater, Savant Lake, Red Lake Road etc. with various pick-ups from Nakina etc.
The only rule was the dog had to be crated with a supply of water. The crate had to be big enough for the dog to stand etc. You can let them out for a walk at some of the longer stops along the way, as long as you let the crew know you are going into the baggage car to do so.
There was never an issue with her being denied transport in the baggage car during the summer.( if it was hot, the crew just left the baggage car doors ajar).

Positioning the crate itself is a problem. I have made disposable (burnable) crates so that I didn't have to carry them along on the canoe trip I was going on and I have prepositioned crates at pickup locations for return trips.

Steve:
For Moosonee, I would ask Ontario Northland ( Polar Bear Express) in Cochrane if they could transport your crate to Moosonee and hold it in the warehouse up there for your return. Not sure where you are planning to get onto the Missinaibi at, but the bus company may be able to transport your crate to Cochrane for you.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 9:31 am 

Looks like Neil is right.
Via has a new policy.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/ba ... -with-pets

No pets during the summer. Someones pet must have suffered heat problems.The bureaucrats win again. They have covered their butts.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 4:32 pm 

Since you have to go through Cochrane anyway.. arrange if you can for the crate to be shipped to Moosonee.

I believe Missinaibi Outfitters will shuttle your car to Cochrane from Mattice

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 5:02 pm 

I've done the train from Moosonee to Cochrane a few times with a dog (not my dog). Never needed a cage, ONR have some which we used although they will probably tell you on the phone that you need to bring your own.

None of these trips were during July/Aug so that might make a difference. If you do need to supply one you can drop it off at the ONR freight office in Cochrane and for very low cost send it to Moossonee.

FYI - The Thriftlodge in Cochrane is dog friendly (and a decent budget motel).

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 7:34 am 

Lots of guys n gals i know fly with their dogs. Pilots discretion ofcourse as well as company policy. Hearing protection is a must for your pooch and is not supplied for animals. Check out David Clark aviation headsets, they got you covered. Btw a yellow lab with a headset makes my heart melt!!