View topic - Who else is going insane waiting for this season to start?

It is currently December 7th, 2019, 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 8th, 2017, 7:13 am 

This is my first winter EVER where i just want it over! Maybe its due to being a new parent and stuck at home on cold days or the constant viewing of "Water walker" and "Nine Rivers". Now, i know tripping will not happen this year for me but it doesnt even matter, its just the feeling of canoeing through Algonquin even for the day that gets my blood rushing. This winter has been full of surprises and I am sick of it already! What have the fine folks at MYCCR done to combat such winter blues? I know i am not alone here, i have small paddle making company and I noticed that business is heating up more and more. It just isn't me. Please share your thoughts, has this winter been fair to you or are you ready for that canoe!?!

PostPosted: March 8th, 2017, 11:49 am 

It's been a pretty good winter here. Surprisingly mild and I took off for 2 weeks to go hiking and camping in SE Arizona in February, so that always helps shorten winters. I also build canoes in the winter to keep myself mostly sane. Wrapping up two of them now and looking forward to trying them out.

Trips are great but, like you, I'm looking forward to just getting out on the water for some day paddles to get the paddling muscles back into shape and to feel a warm breeze instead of a cold one.

Alan

PostPosted: March 8th, 2017, 12:28 pm 

It's been a great winter for weather but now that I have my vacation days booked I'm stoked to get out paddling!

PostPosted: March 8th, 2017, 3:45 pm 

Just loaded my boat to go creekin' in Tennessee for a week. After that, the Hwy 7 rivers generally open up.

The season has started.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2017, 10:44 pm 

Embrace it.

With our freeze/thaw cycles this winter the backcountry skiing hasn't been the best but the fat bike trails at the local mountainbike park have been awesome.
I have a 31" fat tire for my municycle and riding in the winter is quite an experience.

I also just tried out our "new to us" tipi tent with a stove last weekend. It was -16C and super windy. Using a sled allows all the luxuries like a table and chairs too.
I've heard one of the cons of using a hot tent is that you'll never want to use a regular tent again. I understand what they mean.

Just a little bit of winter left.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 8:47 am 

Not me---hoping to get ice fishing 1 more time!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 12:18 pm 

Insane maybe, frustrated yes. Since this will be my wife and my first year we do any tripping, we have now found out how difficult it is to book any lakes in Killarney. I am still more than 5 months out from when we are going, yet OSA is fully booked and Killarney Lake is almost fully booked.

We had no problems this morning booking a lake in Algonquin for early July.

Do some trippers play the same game people play booking Provincial Park campground sites?

Steve

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 9:16 am 

Yes, I'm looking forward to spring paddling. I spend the winter obsessing over skiing, and usually that keeps me distracted till April. This year I came home at the end of a March break trip to the mountains and immediately changed gears. Paddling took over my head. I've been out for three local day-paddles but am dying to get out tripping. It appears the first multi-day trip will be Algonquin ice-out. Sooner rather than later. Thanks to bearburrito's link, I dutifully entered the Opeongo ice-out contest with an optimistic April date.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 11:25 am 

you see it melt here

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis ... n=g&page=1

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:40 pm 

steve.of.london wrote:

Like the link. Too bad for the cloud cover in some spots. This rain is really helping!! :D

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 6:50 pm 

well another three weeks at best..
Meanwhile there is ocean kayaking...

I watch this site and its remarkable over 17 years we are always 5-7 days ahead. Not four days not 14 days.
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 9:00 pm 

Aaarrrggghhh!
Just found out my Chestnut Pal will be ready to pick up this weekend!!! After rib and plank repairs and new canvas can't wait to get it on the water.

Still ice on the North Saskatchewan but most of the Sturgeon River is ice free...wonder whether there is ice on Maligne Lake in Jasper? Hmmm...

Bruce

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 8:20 am 

I am getting antsy, too. Ski season is over but there is no paddle-able open water yet.
Maligne Lake doesn't usually open until mid to late June but, the Athabasca River from Old Fort Point to the 12 Mile Bridge is usually open - hmmm - maybe a day trip to Jasper is in order.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 1:26 pm 

Yeah- everyone talking about how nice the weather is! Arrggghh.
Shoulder season is the worst! No skiing or outdoor rinks and no open water yet.

Not sure i'll test the new canvas on that section of the Athabasca. I'm looking for fairly flat water for first paddle.

Bruce

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 4:26 pm 

Outdoor rinks closed.
Skiing yes. A lot of skiing.
But who wants to do that at 1 degree in the pouring rain?