View topic - advice wanted: river trip for two Scots

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 6:29 pm 

I second getting in touch with Ric if you're thinking of the Churchill http://churchillrivercanoe.com/
I've done the Bowron circuit a few times but anywhere around the Missinipe area has it beat IMO - I imagine the whole Churchill system would but that's the only part I've been into up there so far. The area has enough routes to last a lifetime

PostPosted: June 17th, 2017, 11:01 pm 

Bloodvein would be classic boreal forest Canadian Shield river trip.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 10:42 pm 

If you're flying to Canada then it doesn't get easier than fly to Saskatoon, rent a car (or fly with Transwest to La Ronge where you can arrange a pickup), drive to Missinipe, high five Ric from Churchill River Canoe Outfitters (where you will rent your boats/buy your maps/get a 5-star route plan / get shuttled to your put-in on the Churchill River / and if you're flush with cash he'll even have your food waiting for you for $60/person/day...) and hit the river. I have friends from Italy flying to Saskatoon in August and the Churchill is where we're headed. Depending on the trip we might put in in the same day they arrive in Saskatoon. It will be my second northern SK river trip of the summer. Awesome warm water swarming with fish and drop pool rapids.

Trips like the Bloodvein or Berens are great ideas but there's going to be more logistics and expense and time involved with the float plan to the put-in. Though driving from Winnipeg to Bisset is pretty easy.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2017, 10:45 pm 

... and, at the risk of spilling all of the Churchill's best secrets, there's virtually no bugs in August.