View topic - Quick Access Gear w River Bags

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 4th, 2017, 10:44 am 

Hey All,

Just recently switched from using a standard hiking pack to using a large river bag for my main cargo. Its been lovely having a pack that keeps all my gear dry and at a consistent weight level, but there is a drawback: not having an easy to access pouch for quick access items. Just wondering what the rest of the canoe world (that uses sea-line style river bags) does for these situations.

I assume y'all have a second small pack or dry bag for these things, but I am wondering if any of you have some slick tie down/ piggy-back rigs/ solutions to keep things tight and quick yet accessible for the in and out that comes along with river trips.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-A

PostPosted: July 5th, 2017, 6:50 pm 

I use a version of this...

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/en/d ... 1631130222

Big enough to carry a change of clothes, lunch, first aid kit. Lots of lash points for maps and whatever. Nice to have a small back pack option for off river hikes.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2017, 8:43 pm 

A Day Bag, waterproof, is the answer. Rain jacket, sunblock, camera, snack and not much more.

[i]Rick[/i] discoverpaddling.ca

PostPosted: July 6th, 2017, 10:12 am 

I use a regular day pack lined with a heavy-duty plastic bag. The plastic bag is long enough to hold all of the contents and fold over easily. It is meant to be rain and bilge-water proof. The pack has a lid in which I keep a number of smaller items which might be needed through the day - sunscreen, bug repellent, toilet paper in a slide lock bag, etc. etc. The main compartment has rain gear, a warm coat, a sun shirt, etc. This set up is not submersion proof but it is a compromise to keep things easily accessible.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2017, 2:29 pm 

I use a 5L brooks bag.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2017, 8:48 pm 

Murphy's Law.... 8)
With a big water proof bag (120L) ...
What ever you want and need first....
Will migrate to the bottom of the bag no matter how you pack! :roll:
Your best guess of what you may encounter with conditions over the day is the best you can do..... :D
But I alway fall prey to Murphy.........]
:doh:
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: July 9th, 2017, 1:52 pm 

Watershed makes a 'deck bag' for kayaks that I use in my canoe. Has a clear top so you can see your topo, and lash points on the outside. Big enough for essentials - splashtop, extra layer, gloves, deet, smokes, camera, map, etc. Also has an exterior pocket for a nalgene and straps that will secure an extra paddle.
I glued D-rings to my cooler which always sits in front of me, and attach the deck bag via carabiners to them.

A cheaper route is an old military ammo can. Make sure the gasket on the lid is in good shape, and tie a rope loop to the handle with a carabiner at one end, and you can just loop it around a thwart.