View topic - Yikes! Lake Superior's Batchawana Island to be Developed

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 10:02 am 

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/private-5-star-resort-proposed-for-batchawana-island-652047

The owner of the island wants to build a commerical dock for logging barges near the mouth of the Carp River on the beautiful sandy beaches of Batchawana Bay.
Once the island is logged, he wants to build a members only private resort and air strip.
I don't know if these high roller gun shooting sportsmen are going to be able to tolerate the bugs. The bugs on Batchawana Island are horrendous.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 7:49 am 

River Rodent wrote:
I don't know if these high roller gun shooting sportsmen are going to be able to tolerate the bugs. The bugs on Batchawana Island are horrendous.

What's with the "gun shooting sportsmen" slam?? Hunters are just as legitimate users of the backcountry as anyone else - lots of us are both hunters and paddlers....

And, just so you know, there is no hunting season ( with the exception of wild turkeys where they are found) during the usual "bug seasons". The guns & dogs don't come out til after Labor Day ('cept for bears - they're a little bit earlier).

Just my 2-cents.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2017, 1:53 pm 

Sk8r,
I am sorry my post was offensive to you. It was not my intention to slam gun-shooting sportsmen. I was once an avid hunter of deer and grouse myself.
I used the term because the resort is proposing a 25 acre professional competition class archery and shotgun sports complex.

The point I was trying to make was that putting a 5 star resort on a bug infested island is likely to be a problem with the clientele it intends to draw. To keep the clientele happy, the owner is going to have to battle the bugs with pesticides, a lot of pesticides. Pesticides sprayed on the island will end up in the bay. That is never a good thing. It will hurt the drinking water, fishing and wildlife to say the least.