View topic - We need a Chestnut canoe

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: We need a Chestnut canoe
PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 6:34 pm 

The Norembaga Chapter (New England) of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association has a history of restoring a canoe and then bringing it to the WCHA assembly to be auctioned off with 100% of the sale being donated to the operating expenses of the organization.
Unfortunately, the canoe we received for next years assembly in Ontario turned out to be beyond restoration so the chapter is now trying to find a replacement.
The theme next year at Trent University is Chestnut canoes and also Bill Mason.
We are looking for a restorable Chestnut canoe to be donated for restoration, then it will be highlighted and auctioned off at next years WCHA assembly. A long shot for sure, but someone might have one hanging in the barn or know of one.
Thank You

PostPosted: July 17th, 2017, 9:16 pm 

Post a wanted ad on kijiji in some of the urban centers you are willing to go to in order to pick up a donation.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 6:04 am 

Thanks will do

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 4:53 pm 

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-padd ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: July 18th, 2017, 8:39 pm 

Thanks appreciate the heads up. $800 is too high a starting point for us. We enjoy the labor and don't mind kicking in the stripper, ash gunnels, cedar ribs and plank, new hardware, canvas, filler, paint, and varnish, but we really have to start with a freebie in restorable condition or the return to the organization is just not worth it.

The nice thing about this is that the canoes history will be highlighted throughout the year as it's rebuild is documented at WCHA.org and also when the finished canoe is displayed during the assembly leading up to it's auction on the last day.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 6:32 am 

I would take a beat up Chestnut for free any day of the week as well!!! I have seen many on Kijiji that are not worth the asking price. People who get rid of them here know what Chestnut means so there is always a pricetag. You can definitely get a Tremblay for free but Chestnut canoes for free will be a tough one. They(seller) really have to be sold on your story. I asked a guy for you but he is not willing to part with it, would rather watch it rot he told me. Dont get that mentality but that is the sad truth about these canoes! Best of luck and if you snag one please post the results! Cheers!

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 11:16 am 

Watch Uncle Henrys and Craigslist in Maine though I am sure you already are
There is a Chestnut Grand Laker for sale down the road but it's a pretty penny and requires a trailer
There have to be piles of ignored Chestnuts in barns in Maine and it might be worth a WTB ad in Uncle Henrys

PostPosted: July 19th, 2017, 11:42 am 

Floats n Boats wrote:
I would take a beat up Chestnut for free any day of the week as well!!! I have seen many on Kijiji that are not worth the asking price. People who get rid of them here know what Chestnut means so there is always a pricetag....
Best of luck and if you snag one please post the results! Cheers!

Thanks, I kinda figured it's a longshot but worth a try you just never know. I was given an 18' Chestnut Cruiser a few months ago, and I have a Chum and Pal but I won't part with them.
I use them for tripping and restore them also, they are my only canoes. I'm too old to lift an 18' wood canvas canoe anymore so I cut the middle out and made it a 16' Kruger. Here's the story so far...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BFJuHGB1I
I'll post again when it's finished, been working on it slowly but surely.
Thanks Again for asking your friend.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2017, 6:39 am 

I watched the video awhile ago. I teared up a bit, i like keeping things the way they are. Atleast your using it!