View topic - How post photos as part of a posting?

It is currently December 7th, 2019, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 11:35 pm 

Sometimes a photo helps to illustrate a question being asked, and sometimes a photo is the best answer to someone's question.

I know that on most forums it is possible to embed a link to an online photo. In the past, I have used Photobucket to host my photos, and have embedded links in forum postings. However, now Photobucket no longer allows free hosting of photos on its site.

I cannot see any instructions here on how to upload photos to this website, and then link to them within postings.

Have I simply missed the instructions?

Jim G

PostPosted: August 17th, 2017, 9:43 am 

Try clicking on the 'full editor' button, haven't added photos in a while but I think it's just that.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2017, 9:53 am 

steve.of.london wrote:
Try clicking on the 'full editor' button, haven't added photos in a while but I think it's just that.

Ah, yes. I see the "upload attachment" box now when I click to post a reply. However, it seems to allow only uploading directly from your own computer. Apparently, this site does not HOST photos. It just enables uploading of your photos from your own computer or another location.

Jim G

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 9:02 am 

You can easily (?) host on google photos if you have an account. (Or get a free account.) Put the photo on google photos, then click on it to make it full size, then RIGHT click and select "copy image address." Then use that image address in your posting here.

But you still (probably) have to use the full editor here with the "img" tags. You might also have to "trick" the system into thinking that the maximum dimension (vertical or horizontal) is 800 pixels.

I've posted one below. The TRUE image size is width of 1732 and height of 974 pixels. The end of the long string of characters that point to the image address (copied from "copy image address") is "...FkMMP1=w1732-h974-no" To "trick" this system into thinking that it is a maximum of 800 pixels, I just changed the "1732" and the "974" after the "w" and "h" both to 800. This makes myccr think that it's 800 pixels max in either dimension, and it still renders correctly. (i.e. it is still proportional.)

This may sound complicated, but if you do it once or twice, it's easy and makes some sense.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 9:25 am 

Thank-you!

Jim G

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 9:35 am 

...but if you are just posting one or two photos, and particularly if you don't care where they show up in your posting, it's probably easier to just use the full editor here and take advantage of the "upload attachment" area below where you type your text.

If you do this, you REALLY have to make sure that the photo has a maximum dimension (vertical or horizontal) of 800 pixels though.

It seems to default to putting your attached photos at the end of your post if you use this method. I'm not sure if you can get the photo(s) placed elsewhere in your text though.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 9:41 am 

Brad Thomas wrote:

. . .
It seems to default to putting your attached photos at the end of your post if you use this method. I'm not sure if you can get the photo(s) placed elsewhere in your text though.

Actually, I discovered that you can put the photo into your text. You use the "inline" option box! The systemthen places the photointo your text.You can then copy and paste the text around the attachment to get the attachment where you want it within the entire posting.

Jim G

PostPosted: August 18th, 2017, 10:47 am 

I find the size restrictions quite severe and a PITA. It's easier to load pix to a photo site such as Flickr and post a link here.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 12:08 pm 

You can also post from the Gallery (if you first upload the photos there) . I hope this is still a viable option, it's been years since I did it!

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 1:22 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Otter Mel wrote:
You can also post from the Gallery (if you first upload the photos there) . I hope this is still a viable option, it's been years since I did it!

Yes, you can still post photos to our Gallery - but if you don't have an account, it is necessary to send me an email to create an account for you. (admin @ myccr.com). We have insurmountable problems with spam if we open up the gallery registration system.

Very soon, we will have a new Gallery, hopefully that one will allow everybody to self-register. Once I know more about it, I will post about it.

Marilyn (marscanoe)

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 1:50 pm 

marscanoe wrote:
Otter Mel wrote:

Yes, you can still post photos to our Gallery - but if you don't have an account, it is necessary to send me an email to create an account for you. (admin @ myccr.com). We have insurmountable problems with spam if we open up the gallery registration system.

Very soon, we will have a new Gallery, hopefully that one will allow everybody to self-register. Once I know more about it, I will post about it.

Marilyn (marscanoe)

Marilyn: Thank-you! I just sent you an email requesting an account. Please note that you accidentally typed your email address with spaces within it, which made my email editor reject it at first. I removed the spaces. :D

Jim G