View topic - German Tourist survive 11 days in Northern Manitoba.

It is currently December 9th, 2019, 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 3:14 pm 

Well this is interesting, and more interesting that we did not hear about it earlier.
Guys are pretty lucky, and if they were carrying "canned soup" tells me their prep work was incomplete. I would like to know their WW prep. And a trip in that remote of an area without a communication system is not a good idea.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4266176

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 5:44 pm 

I found the canned soup to be a bit of a head scratcher too but the fact that they got out of there at all tells me they know quite a bit about the woods. I lived in Germany for 2 years in the early 90s and there are an awful lot of people there who fantasize about the Canadian wilderness. I knew a guy who knew every detail of every documented voyageur expedition pretty much ever. It was amazing talking to him he knew infinitely more about that than I did. But people had maps of Canada and used to comb over them - they were particularly smitten the the Canadian Shield and the vast areas that are just peppered with all the little lakes and rivers. The same stuff I comb over on google maps these days :-)

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 7:32 pm 

Made a dumb mistake in a rapid, maybe not the best preparation but they got their sorry asses out by themselves. Good on them for having maps and how to use them.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 9:54 am 

An update on the article, including people who happened upon their "Mickey Mouse" canoe.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4269352

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 10:18 am 

That's interesting in 2 ways - one of which validates what I said above about the fascination many Germans have for our wilderness here. I did not know the significance of that route - but apparently these 2 German guys did!

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 10:20 am 

What do you all make of that picture of the canoe in the updated article? I can't figure out what that ridge on the left is. Any idea of a canoe make and model?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 11:33 am 

I love that the CBC was willing to publish Scott's description of 'this Mickey Mouse, ratshit canoe.'

If that big hole in the bottom is revealing foam flotation, I'd say the sponson under the gunwale is also filled with foam and intending to increase secondary stability. This is similar to the Sportspal models that always have a strip of foam along the sides.

Maybe the canoe was brought over from Germany?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 11:34 am 

Ahem. If it was garbage before, it is definitely garbage now.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 3:07 pm 

:roll: :roll: :roll: 8)
That was the perfect description of the canoe and what could have happened.
It is something and novice or beginner can take to heart.... and quickly!
I am glad they wrote the story that way.
Saves a lot of arguing with the new found experts on Facebook sites :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 5:53 pm 

Pretty sure this is where they abandoned their canoe:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.4356987,-93.8027717,423m/data=!3m1!1e3

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 6:45 pm 

:o I hope they did a better job choosing their hiking boots than choosing their canoe.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 7:02 pm 

jedi jeffi wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: 8)
That was the perfect description of the canoe and what could have happened.
It is something and novice or beginner can take to heart.... and quickly!
I am glad they wrote the story that way.
Saves a lot of arguing with the new found experts on Facebook sites :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jeff

Jeff, are you referring beginners to take heart in the canoe they paddle? Or are you referring to the canoeists outstanding ability to get out and get help and beginners should learn from these two paddlers skills? Because they really did deal with their situation exceptionally well.

As far as who can take heart in the equipment/experience (this case was a questionable canoe)I would put it differently; beginner, intermediate, advance, expert....anyone can make a mistake. At best we learn from our mistakes because we will all keep learning and make mistakes. Not only is this common sense it also can be proven from our history.

Pointing the finger is always easier if it's not at you.

Also...SPOTS, Beacons, Sat Phones......may I ask what you carried 20-30 years ago Jeff? These are pretty new communication devices....and the very worst mistakes can be made by relying on them, taking more risk because you have them, or navigating only with them. They are only as good as the batteries that operate them. I would say having a SPOT, Beacon, or Sat phone is a bonus that many canoeists cannot afford and that all canoeists shouldn't depend on. I have made mistakes with these above devices as well as mistakes not related to the above devices. Also, sure their canoe failed. But ANY canoe can fail. I say Royalex is best for rapids while others may say another material is best in rapids. This story has the potential to happen to us all. Situation may be different but we all make mistakes and we are all susceptible to accidents. These Germans dealt with their mistake really well.

My thoughts anyway.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 8:09 pm 

I admire they way they had the grit to rescue themselves from a very tough situation. The question that has puzzled me for years is this:"Why do canoeists overestimate and overstate their skills as a canoeist whereas they do the opposite for most other skills"?

It looks like they bad advice on canoe choice. Duct tape might have saved they day!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 10:00 pm 

Sam I carry now what I carried then, (cell phone works great in QEW nothing but FM phone system works in Agawa Canyon.
But If I was going to paddle a remote route like that I would get a system that would work for there.
Still now I still work on maintaining skills and I know what my limits are WW and distances.
I am very happy they had map reading skills, it is just one of many that need to be done.
IF they had someone with a little more ww experience I think they actually would have done better.
Even skill like lining a canoe are tough if you have never done it before.
And they are not really that hard to learn.
As a teaching example this is a good thing for a novice beginner to learn from.
As for accidents/incidents I have had my share over 50 years of paddling, including loss of boats, mind you it was it class V. (twice)
Right now on social media there are a lot of people advocating the use of bottom designed equipment for a variety of trips, and some in the last couple of years have not ended well. If this story had ended like some of the others, I would not have commented this way.
I constantly try to encourage people that are planning trips like this to work on those skills so they don't get into trouble.
A good ending like this one just makes it easier for others to understand.
Beginners/novices have a tendency to bypass the bad stories.
The way the CBC reported the comments help drive that home.
And hopefully it will inspire people to work on skills and research a little more.
Jeff

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 10:59 pm 

jedi jeffi wrote:
A good ending like this one just makes it easier for others to understand.
Jeff

"Man forced to cannibalism only 2km from nearest road after 100km bushwack" a headline like that would have gotten more media coverage. :lol:

this whole story is crazy. but it does make you feel good to know they got out fine.
just, wow...