View topic - Paddling play to become a better paddler.

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 7:20 pm 

Latest blog
With the water still being a little hard I hope it give you some food for thought.
Even though paddle sport participation is hitting some amazing highs, play paddling seems to be replaced by organized practice/training, and there is nothing wrong with that.
It does not matter which which type of paddling you do or the type of boat you use.
Play can really speed up the learning curve.

Paddling play to be a better paddler.
https://jedijeffi.wordpress.com/2018/04 ... et-better/

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 7:31 pm 

Yes

The basis of FreeStyle is paddling play.. Paddle miles in circles and develop your paddling precision.
http://freestylecanoeing.com/after-many ... -paddling/

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 7:50 pm 

:thumbup:
Thanks littleredcanoe!
I tried to keep it generic as possible and then add the play of other types of paddle play.
Hopefully we can help other find other ways to improve their skills.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 7:17 am 

Right now we are in the middle of a 6 week period where the local Scouts in Ottawa have Saturday night "paddle nights" in the swimming pools of a local sports center. My troop is up 2 weeks from tonight. These are 2 hour intro to canoe sessions that include basic paddle strokes, canoe-over-canoe rescue, and play!

A simple game that is always used is you set 8 or 10 canoes of Scouts loose in one of the pools and dump a whole bunch of sponges into the pool with them. They basically just paddle around retrieving the sponges and throwing them at each other either by fishing them out with their hands or with their paddle. It is a great game because it teaches them all about balance and how they can move around in the canoe and how the canoe will react to their movement.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 6:23 am 

Here are a few games I've used to engage paddlers in play to aid learning.

Easter egg hunt...
The referee paddles out a bit while the participants are on shore with canoe ready. I have 12 ping pong balls numbered 1-12 that I will distribute on the water. A whistle is blown and participants get in canoes and try to gather as many of the ping pong balls as they can. The numbers on the balls are values and who ever has the most in total, not in balls once they are all gathered wins the competition.

Tug of war...
There are two marker buoys about 10 feet apart. There is a rope tied to the stern of two canoes and there's a marker on the rope about in the middle between the marker buoys. At the sound of the whistle participants paddle away from each other and who ever can manage to move the marker on the rope to the buoy on their side wins.

Water canon tag...
There are two floating water "canons" adrift. At the sound of a whistle, a group of paddlers heads out retrieves a canon, loads it with water then chases another paddler and attempts to squirt them with the canon. If the paddler being chased gets wet they are out of the game and the person holding the canon has to chuck it away and the chase starts again. Who ever is the last paddler to remain dry wins.

Dead fish polo...
A sponge like one used to wash cars is floating in the water. At the sound of a whistle paddlers head out and attempt to scoop the sponge from the water with their paddle (can't touch it with anything else) and use the paddle to pitch the sponge at another paddler. Anyone hit by the sponge is "out". Last one on the water wins.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 8:09 am 

Paddling play is great for kids. They don't respond well to droning instructors.
But suggest dead fish polo to adults and they freak out. Adults care a lot about capsizing. Some are frozen because of it. Kids could care less. Adults really dont want to get wet.

Adults do respond well to a simple timed buoy course set in the shape of a x with a buoy at each end of the x and one in the middle. They have to pass outward of an end buoy and go around the center. X 4 times.

Timed. The fastest times seem to be done by those in solos doing a cross reverse stroke ( yes run the course backward) as that direction and paddle placement forces you to use torso rotation.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 3:57 pm 

Great points! Just want to help those who wish to improve paddle skills to look and see outside the "instructors box"
once they get moving.
None of this stuff is new, it just seems to get forgotten from time to time.
Jeff

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 5:46 pm 

Adults tend to overthink things. (like Will I DROWN after capsize.. morphs into I WILL drown.. etc). Kids don't have all that baggage.

Anything you can do to get an adult to loosen up is good.

Beer and brandy helps

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 9:22 am 

We have used pieces of wood with a cord attached. The cords have breaks joined by Velcro so the piece of wood can be detached with a yank. We tie one to the back of each canoe.

The canoe with the most at the end wins.

Don't