View topic - Passing of a Legend

It is currently December 15th, 2019, 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Passing of a Legend
PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 3:07 pm 

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him, his name and the influence of his initiatives would come up any time I did any research (daydreaming if I'm honest) on canoetripping in Wabakimi (which i hope to experience some day).
I try to always be mindful and appreciative of the individuals who have sacrificed much of their time, money, and energy to ensure the continued preservation of such remarkable, beautiful, and remote places such as Wabakimi. These places are not protected and preserved by accident.
Much gratitude to "Uncle Phil" Cotton. RIP

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 5:41 pm 

There will be a Celebration of Life in honor of Uncle Phil in Thunder Bay July 7. Details yet to come. I hope to keep up with plans as they become known.

It would be wonderful for lots of us to show up with paddles. But I will be in Iceland till June 14 and don't know if I can keep in computer contact.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm 

I am shocked to hear about Phil's passing - sort-of expected him to run his trips forever.

He was a very effective and tireless protector of the routes in the Wabakimi area, and I regret never having signed up for one of his trips.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 8:46 pm 

Many of us just saw him a week or so ago down here in Minneapolis at the Midwest Mountaineering Expo during his presentation of the Wabakim project and the park in general. I also had a couple of short conversations with over the years at Canoecopia in Madison, WI. His broad knowledge of intricate details of various regions right down to detailed portage information was always impressive. Now that he's walked on, I'll never look at his maps without thinking of him. He was an individual that "stomped on the terra" despite his quiet, calm demeanor.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 9:49 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

I too am shocked & sad to hear of Phil's passing. I imagined that he would always be here, both here on CCR & up at Wabakimi!

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 5:14 pm 

Rest easy Phil. I'll not forget you, your friendship and how you inspire me. I will always have a smile when I picture you.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 3:24 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Here is a link to his obituary:
https://obittree.com/obituary/ca/ontari ... n/3500376/

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 6:20 pm 

:(
And he was so much more.
We comumicatied a lot at the start of the Navigation fight and when they tried to lic small boats and canoe fleets.
Much more knowledeable than just his passion project.
A resource that will be dearly missed.
:(
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: May 14th, 2018, 2:39 pm 

Uncle Phil and his family and friends, canoeing partners included, can certainly be proud of Phil's passion, and also his results! Phil's coordination of the Wabikimi trips have literally put canoeing on the map, and made canoeing interests impossible for land-use planners to ignore!

Over many years Phil's unique vision and approach brought lots of diverse people from different places together for a shared experience and a common goal. Like many leaders, I'm sure Phil's style didn't work for everybody all the time, but his ability to have success over such a long time with so many different people speaks volumes and is something to be admired and appreciated.

When Phil started up his Wabikimi trips I was entering a busy stage of life and missed this sort of tripping, so I took a chance on this strange idea of an "Internet date" canoe trip. Sure glad I did. It was the real deal of hard, rewarding work in a beautiful wilderness with good people. I haven't been on a trip like it since, and I sure appreciate the opportunity afforded to me by Phil's inspiration.

My thanks & congrats to Phil. Neat guy.

RIP Uncle Phil, Pat Yarnell

p.s. Boneli, you might want to consider adding Phil's name to the title of thread?