View topic - Help with pricing a boat for sale?

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 7:59 am 

The long unused MRC Revelation went to a good home. With the accessories and outfitting and stuff I threw in it went for less than 50% of (then) retail. I’m good with that, and happiest if someone drives away with a canoe like they stole it.

A motor mount? Sure! Huge NRS center bags? I have no use, take ‘em.

Next unused tandem up for sale is the fully outfitted RX Esquif Miramichi. With an Extreme Duty 3RD seat, bow utility thwart, larger sail, clamp-on leeboard, custom TIG welded outboard motor mount, heavy duty portage cart, Dynel & G/flex skid plates and etc, etc all the usual stuff.

http://www.esquif.com/en/touring/miramichi/

I know custom outfitting a canoe is like custom building a motorcycle; it is built the way you wanted it and maybe not so much the next guy. But in 2006 a Royalex Miramichi ran near $2000 (USD), a new one is closer to $2600, and there are several hundred in accessories and outfitting parts, without Dynel and G/flex and shop time and labor, that go with that hull.

This Miramichi:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153467243 ... 9254423191

I know this is like asking “Roast me!”, but what would a reasonable asking price be?

Gawd I wish I was selling the Miramichi up in Maine or Canada where it belongs, or even down in Texas where everything’s bigger and they seem to like them some monster canoes. But I don’t deliver cross-country.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 8:58 am 

If you really feel strongly about it living in Canada, I could drive down and pick it up in an adoption kind of deal. Or perhaps you would be interested in a trade of some sort?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 9:48 am 

Price can vary wildly by local market - where I am in Ottawa is a hot seller's market and prices tend to be higher than other places even an hour away.

So this is "unused"? How do you manage to have an unused Royalex since it has been 5-6 years since that has been made.

It is a nice looking boat for sure. I'm not familiar with some of those options and their affect on price. You also don't say whether it is a 16 or 17 but with the 3rd seat I'm guessing 17?

Ballpark in our market here would be $2500 about the same as a new 17 foot T-Formex

https://www.trailheadpaddleshack.ca/tra ... -trim.html

That's Canuck Bucks of course

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 9:58 am 

RHaslam wrote:
If you really feel strongly about it living in Canada, I could drive down and pick it up in an adoption kind of deal. Or perhaps you would be interested in a trade of some sort?

I don’t care where the Miramichi lives, even Geraldton, as long as it gets used. Used in some proper guise; it is 110lb on my hanging shop scale, so not portage friendly, at least for me. It is 20 feet long, 40 inches wide and 16 inches deep, with 3 ½ inches of symmetrical rocker.

To me it is a niche boat. “Proper guise” and niche is in the eye of the beholder; yeah, it could be used a 3-person day boat, an overnight glamper full of steaks and coolers, a big assed motorized fishing/trolling hull or even a giant-sized family canoe, but a long trip on a big river is where it really belongs.

There isn’t much I could use in trade. A big boy 15 to 16.5 foot kevlar solo that weights sub-50 lbs might interest me.

I am just stuck on a fair asking price for the Miramichi. Experience has shown that a used canoe priced at $950 will sell a LOT faster than if priced at $1000, but I think the Miramichi alone is worth that or more, and I could part out the unattached outfitting pieces for another couple hundred.

I’d rather see the whole kit kept together, the accessory stuff is designed specifically for that big canoe.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 12:41 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Price can vary wildly by local market - where I am in Ottawa is a hot seller's market and prices tend to be higher than other places even an hour away.

So this is "unused"? How do you manage to have an unused Royalex since it has been 5-6 years since that has been made.

It is a nice looking boat for sure. I'm not familiar with some of those options and their affect on price. You also don't say whether it is a 16 or 17 but with the 3rd seat I'm guessing 17?

The “local market” you describe is curious. I look at Craigslisted canoes from New Jersey and Pennsylvania south into the Carolinas, ISO my unicorn rebuild of a (dirt cheap, rotted wood gunwale derelict) Kevlar solo.

While there are rare outlier bargains, and lots of comically overpriced boats on those Craigllists, the general market price for decent used canoes is much the same. Not really “local”, I have driven to up Connecticut and down to South Carolina for unicorn boats.

After Royalex stopped being made there was some wishful thinking that RX canoes in good condition would become a hot ticket item. That has not been reflected to any extent in used RX canoe sale prices hereabouts. Some sellers hopefully hype the “No longer made Royalex” bit, but the various RX manufacturers must have made 100,000+ Royalex canoes.
(I’d love to hear an educated guess at the total number of Royalex canoes manufactured over 40 years)

What is it that makes Ottawa a weirdly hot seller’s market?

See the Miramichi specs and link above for an idea about the canoe in question. The Miramichi is sort of a giant Prospector hull. You could fit your whole family in this one and become Prospector20 ;-)

Some canoe history, even recent history, is important to know when talking about used canoes. The closest thing dimensionally in RX to the Miramichi would have been Old Town’s XL Tripper, and OT stopped make the XL Tripper even before Royalex disappeared. Some schools and guide companies snapped up the last few XL Trippers made, a couple just to hold in fleet reserve for future use.

OK, “nearly” unused. This is actually a 2006 canoe. Paddled gently a few times and put away unused for 10 years, after everyone in my family went to solo canoes.

In 2016 the Miramichi was brought out of storage and equipped with a custom-designed-for-the hull TIG welded side motor mount and sail, and used on a few coastal bay trips with a Suzuki outboard (save gas - sail with the wind, motor against). It has very few minor scratches or dings. I should probably take some photos of the unblemished bottom and interior before I put it up for sale.

I have no idea what the current MSRP is for a T-formex Miramichi. Does anyone know?

There isn’t much call for a 20 foot tripper where I live in Maryland, or elsewhere in the mid-Atlantic region; those big tripper canoes are far more popular further north, and even at a discounted price I may have to wait a while to find the right buyer.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 2:04 pm 

Hi Mike.

Does the boat come with a spray deck?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 4:51 pm 

oldntired wrote:
Hi Mike.

I can't resist.. :rofl:

That would be called a tent.. I apologize.

I know if Mike could drag the thing to Grand Lake area of Maine he could sell it pretty quick.

Maybe an ad in online Uncle Henrys.
https://www.unclehenrys.com/search/Boats

Ad might be even seen by New Brunswickers who would love the boat.. on the Miramichi..

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 6:13 pm 

Not sure why the local market is so hot but around here if you want a good deal on a canoe you have to be prepared to leave work and go get it.

Without a spray deck I guess your canoe might not be worth top price I'd say you could probably get $2K canuck bucks for it here in Ottawa though. It is tough to see your lash points but this also assumes full outfitting lash points along both sides.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 7:27 pm 

Oh I guess I do know why the market is so good around here it is because it is a paddling hotspot and a great home base for some of the best flat and moving water in the world. A lot of people paddle so good canoes are in high demand.

Or that's my working theory in any case :-)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2019, 8:15 am 

Beauty Unicorn boat indeed. Government salaries probably also help with the Ottawa scene.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2019, 8:48 am 

oldntired wrote:

No spray deck. I almost did so when we first got it, and we have spray decks on four other canoes, but I’m glad I didn’t for a couple of reasons. Spray cover design is a personal preference choice; Northwater or Cooke Custom Sewing, two piece or three, which attachment style or design features, cargo hatch, paddle pockets, map case, etc?

I wouldn’t expect to get even 50% of the retail cost of the accessories, and at $800-$900 for a cover that would have been my loss.

The Miramichi is our only canoe without any vinyl pad D-rings. Again, glad I didn’t install any. The Northwater double D-rings I prefer run $8 apiece and those could add up quickly in a 20 foot long canoe. Plus I’d rather have them installed where needed for what gear I typically pack, not someone else’s guess at where they might be placed.

Prospector16 wrote:
It is tough to see your lash points but this also assumes full outfitting lash points along both sides.

I’m not certain what you mean by lash points. No spray deck, so no Northwater-ish exterior lashings. The Miramichi does have 26 interior webbing loop tie down points, one on the end of every machine screw.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2019, 9:39 am 

Esquif doesn't list an MSRP and I'm not finding a lot of retail prices out there. I did find one ( http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/P ... 202011.pdf ) that gives a 2011 retail price of US$2,139 for an outfitted Miramichi.

I was expecting a higher price but given that as a reference, then I'd think somewhere around US$1,500 might be a good starting point. Or you start around US$2,000 and wait it out.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2019, 9:45 am 

Here is a current price - C$2,950 which is still only US$2,250. I hadn't realized the exchange rate was that bad these days. https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/trippin ... /miramichi

I think that still gets you back to a used price around US$2,000/C$2,500 or lower.

Last edited by Splake on June 27th, 2019, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2019, 10:26 am 

Yeah if it is in like-new condition (which it appears to be) plus a few extras, then you are up in the 75% to 85% of retail range.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 10:00 am 

Splake wrote:
Here is a current price - C$2,950 which is still only US$2,250. I hadn't realized the exchange rate was that bad these days. https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/trippin ... /miramichi

I think that still gets you back to a used price around US$2,000/C$2,500 or lower.

Thanks, that helps my thought process in coming up with a reasonable asking price. Out of curiosity I called Wilderness Supply. They no longer had a Miramichi, couldn’t remember if it was Royalex or T-Formex and couldn’t quote me a price on a new T-formex one.

Prospector16 wrote:
Yeah if it is in like-new condition (which it appears to be) plus a few extras, then you are up in the 75% to 85% of retail range.

My consideration as a buyer has been that a reasonable price is around 2/3 MSRP of the canoe when purchased, not 2/3 new retail if still being made. A bit more for boats in great condition or highly sought after unicorn boats. And if it a canoe I want and within $100 of that number I won’t even haggle.

The Miramichi was $1999 in 2006, 2/3 of MSRP = $1331, which seems low for that fully equipped canoe.

The accessories retailed for $837 at the time, without adding in the stainless steel, webbing loops, sail mount, pad eyes and etc or shop time and labor.

I’m thinking that 1/3 of (then) retail on the accessories is reasonable = $278. That also seems low; the sail alone was nearly that much.

But the accessories are so specific to that hull that I have little other use for them. The sail to too big for our solo canoes, though perfect on that giant. The motor mount was designed to precisely fit that hull and outwale, and the portage cart made for toting sailing dingys and rowboats; the bunks are 30” apart and fit the Miramichi chines perfectly.

$1331 + $278 = $1609.

Mike McCrea wrote:
The long unused MRC Revelation went to a good home. With the accessories and outfitting and stuff I threw in it went for less than 50% of (then) retail. I’m good with that, and happiest if someone drives away with a canoe like they stole it.

I’ll put it up for $1600 USD and again hope someone drives away like they stole it. As usual if the buyer seems straight up and doesn’t try to lowball me I’ll throw some other stuff in at the end.