View topic - 115-120L Drybags, will they fit across a 16' canoe?

It is currently February 28th, 2020, 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 12:53 pm 

I've always canoe camped with my wife using two 60L backpacks to carry everything, one laid flat on each side of the yoke. But now that our kids are older (5 and 7) we'd like to take them, but they take up room :) We've done some daytrip paddles with them, the oldest sits behind my wife in the front where one of the packs would normally go and the youngest between my legs. So basically we lose a spot for one of our two packs by bringing the kids which leaves me with only one slot for a pack between the yoke and the rear thwart.

So I was thinking of getting one of the monster MEC 115L Slog dryback packs but am not sure what the dimensions are when packed and if it would fit in that spot. Does anyone have pictures of these things, or any other 120L brand, in a standard 16' canoe? We're fairly minimalist so it fits we could put all the gear and clothing in that pack, and have another drybag with the food that I can stick behind my seat in the stern. The most we would do 4 days/3 nights.

Any advice would be great!

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 1:43 pm 

I would say yes unless your canoe is unusually narrow. My partner and I both use the Slogg 115 (I highly recommend going for the "HD" version) and we can fit them both width-wise into a 15' canoe plus a 60L food barrel, which should be comparable with your load with kids. The beam is pretty wide at 36" so that's certainly a factor, but I believe you'd be fine.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 1:54 pm 

"Standard 16' canoe" - no such thing!

Canoe widths are not standardized so you need to check the specs of the canoe. I have 2 x 16 foot Royalex Prospector 16s one from Nova Craft and one from Trailhead. The NC has a 36" beam and the TH has a 33" beam. Length of both canoes is identical.

I also have a kevlar P16 from Bluewater - have never measured the beam but it is closer to the 36" NC.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 3:06 pm 

One of those packs should definitely fit.

Don't have kids, but a couple we camp with brought their 5 and 7 year old last year. They sat on the packs.
Raises the center of gravity, but unless going through heavy chop, it seemed to work.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 3:25 pm 

My Pocket Canyon is 36” wide and fits one of those packs just fine.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 6:09 pm 

My Eureka 115 has been placed sideways (i.e. perpendicular to the direction of travel) in a 16' Trailhead Prospector, a 16' Scott Prospector, a 16-4 H2O Prospector, and a Souris River Quetico 16 - as pictured (somewhat sloppily, I'll admit).

Attachment:
115.jpg
115.jpg [ 231.08 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 7:38 pm 

thanks everyone, that should work great

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 7:39 pm 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
I would say yes unless your canoe is unusually narrow. My partner and I both use the Slogg 115 (I highly recommend going for the "HD" version) and we can fit them both width-wise into a 15' canoe plus a 60L food barrel, which should be comparable with your load with kids. The beam is pretty wide at 36" so that's certainly a factor, but I believe you'd be fine.

the big difference with the HD is hip support right? i was going to cheap out and get the cheaper version, we don't really do any long portages on the routes we do, i think our longest was 1km but usually it's more like 200-250m. i figured the cheaper version would take up a bit less space?

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 8:56 pm 

Why not sit each child beside a 60L laid longitudinally in their respective position fore and aft of center (yoke)? In this way each little tripper could also paddle on their own side, and not interfere with mom and dad as well. I don't recommend anything placed above gunnel height least of all children. Their bums fit just fine on the canoe bottom beside packs.

My 115L fits easily across my canoe, but if you find yours a tight fit then there's always the option of "underpacking" it.

Last edited by Odyssey on February 25th, 2020, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 9:44 pm 

I have a 115 Eureka that I fit into my Novacraft 16 ' Tripper

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 10:50 pm 

Odyssey wrote:
Why not sit each child beside a 60L laid longitudinally in their respective position fore and aft of center (yoke)? In this way each little tripper could also paddle on their own side, and not interfere with mom and dad as well. I don't recommend anything placed above gunnel height least of all children. Their bums fit just fine on the canoe bottom beside packs.

My 115L fits easily across my canoe, but if you find yours a tight fit then there's always the option of "underpacking" it.

sorry i don't understand, you mean putting the 60L packs lengthwise lying down with the kids beside? it would be awfully cramped for the kids i think. the 60L packs still take up a lot of space.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2020, 11:05 pm 

Pretty sure a 34" width can accommodate a kid's bum and the width of a 60L pack. Ours did. Plenty of room. The packs can also sit on their "edge". If you do this then be sure for safety sake to position the pack straps facing outwards away from the child and towards the gunnel. Otherwise we laid the straps down underneath facing the bottom. Less entanglement risk.
Won't be long before you'll be looking at a second canoe. Your small passengers can then become paddlers. Everyone will love that.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 8:10 am 

Odyssey wrote:
Pretty sure a 34" width can accommodate a kid's bum and the width of a 60L pack. Ours did. Plenty of room. The packs can also sit on their "edge". If you do this then be sure for safety sake to position the pack straps facing outwards away from the child and towards the gunnel. Otherwise we laid the straps down underneath facing the bottom. Less entanglement risk.
Won't be long before you'll be looking at a second canoe. Your small passengers can then become paddlers. Everyone will love that.

hmm, i guess i'll have to give it a try, i just don't want the kids to feel cramped. what age did you split into two canoes and put the kids in the bow, and were still actually able to cover some ground? :)

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 8:42 am 

By the time our first kid reached 10ish I felt it was time to let him dip his own paddle from a real paddling position. He became somebody's paddling partner, usually in the bow. I "soloed" our other young ones until a second reached that age. Our 4 kids are aged enough apart that by the time a 3rd reached paddling age the eldest chose to drop out of the crew and stay home. Teen years can upset the fabric of family life sometimes; just so long as you don't let it unravel.
"Covering ground" was never as important to us as "experiencing" the ground we covered. Our days were slow and fulfilling, measured in smiles not miles.
Best wishes in your family canoeing.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 11:19 am 

the big difference with the HD is hip support right? i was going to cheap out and get the cheaper version, we don't really do any long portages on the routes we do, i think our longest was 1km but usually it's more like 200-250m. i figured the cheaper version would take up a bit less space?[/quote]

IMO it's worth $35 more for the frame which will distribute the weight better, especially since you'll likely be cramming this one pack full now, whereas that weight used to be split between two bags (I believe that's what you said).