View topic - UNFLINCHING P. G. DOWNES' ANNOTATED COPY

It is currently November 20th, 2019, 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: September 26th, 2019, 5:20 pm 

PostPosted: September 27th, 2019, 12:02 am 

John Hornby was awarded the Military Cross - he can be found at this site.

FTA: "Instituted in 28th December 1914 as an award for junior and warrant officers of the Army “Whose distinguished and meritorious service have been brought to or notice.” There was also a provision for the award of a bar for each further act of bravery. All Great War MCs are issued unnamed. All issued MCs have a notification in the London Gazette. It is possible to find a citation for the Military Cross in the Gazettes. The majority of awards for the Great War are accompanied by citations. Frequently the award and the citation are separated and it then necessary to search in later indices to find the citation. Detail shown is surname; given name; Cross; bar(s); rank; battalion or sub unit; regiment or branch of service; fate of recipient KIA, DOW, Died; London Gazette reference(s), supplement date(s) and confirmation of existence of LG. citation(s). In some records (non-exhaustive) concise biographical details.

https://www.fold3.com/title/975/british ... tary-cross

PostPosted: September 28th, 2019, 10:53 pm 

The book is in my possession. Let the scanning begin. Unfortunately MYCCR has a restriction on size affecting quality of permissible. Intro pgs 3 thru 9

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 12:20 am 

intro pg 10 & pg11

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 9:06 am 

Thank you for sharing these notes! Makes one wonder about the other characters mentioned.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 9:32 am 

My immediate purpose is to present with as much clarity as possible the order in which all Downes' anecdotes, then revisit them for context. Not ideal for sure.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 10:50 am 

from intro pg 12 thru pg 15

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 9:33 pm 

pg 16 to pg 28

PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 10:38 pm 

pg 28 to end of intro

PostPosted: September 30th, 2019, 12:00 am 

conclusion pg 142 to pg 144

PostPosted: September 30th, 2019, 12:03 am 

The End. If of value copy because in the ephemeral world of the internet they could be gone in a blink.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2019, 11:50 pm 

Great catch!

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: October 1st, 2019, 8:41 am 

Now I possess a book I should not read. An intellectual delicacy destined for the stacks. When I tire of staring at it I will hope to give it a better home.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2019, 2:27 pm 

Cannot have been cheap. Am glad it came into good hands and you have taken the time to share PG's annotations. One day I am going to get ahold of Distant Summers, as I have enjoyed Downes' observations and writing. The Hornby/ Christian/ Aldard story is just tragic, is all, and I think Downes' take is pretty level on it.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2019, 11:07 pm 

I have a different take on " and I think Downes' take is pretty level on it." As an introduction let me repeat an earlier post:

david demello wrote:
Mr RHaslam I cannot answer for other people's motivation and probably not even my own. When I was immersed in 'expedition' canoeing, I was absorbed by it and had no idea that there was a canoeing community. A disparate group seems oxymoronic but in many ways that is what it appears to me, especially with the attendant tensions that arise when one party opines about another party. A small example just came to me in the form of Downes' quote on page 142 in response to the words "defeated by the incalculable factor...." which was "No - it is calculable with intelligence and planning - neither of which Hornby with his experience and knowledge displayed" & then the very first sentence in "Sleeping Island" says this: "I suppose it is pure heresy to open an account of a few months' wandering in the sub-Arctic of Canada with the statement that I was not particularly sure where I was going." I would argue that "sleeping Island" charm lay with its unplanned emergent nature. By way of contrast Hornby knew exactly where he was going. "Curiouser and curiouser!" Also Hornby knew who his fellow travelers and Downes did not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next