View topic - MEC

It is currently February 29th, 2020, 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MEC
PostPosted: December 4th, 2019, 4:15 pm 

I have found the Ottawa store to be absolutely fantastic for the 22 years I've been shopping there.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2019, 8:27 pm 

Sure, there warranty is second to none. I broke the poles on a dining tent last summer on its first use. It was completely my fault, I didn't stake it and it blew to the forest edge overnight, and I tried to right it in a strong wind. Oops. So I drove to the Ottawa store for a replacement set of poles, fully expecting to pay for them. Nope - they pulled a set of poles out of a tent they had on the shelf and gave them to me free of charge. I don't think the Rock Solid guarantee would put them out of business. Sure, it's costly for them, but speaking for myself, that's precisely why I still shop there.

That being said, they're not the only ones. I bought a Katadyn gravity filter this year from Bass Pro. More than three months later (after its first use), I returned it with nothing more than "I'm not happy with it". (Flow level dropped to near zero in Killarney, after just three days.) Zero questions asked; they needed an assistant manager to approve it, but they gave me my money back. Ditto with a shirt I returned to Eddie Bauer this year, 2 years after I bought it. They just let me pull a replacement off the shelf.

Their warranty is awesome, but it's not unheard of for higher end retailers to stand behind what they sell like that. It just happens that their warranty is the best.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2019, 9:56 am 

Captaincanadian wrote:
Lets keep in mind that a 'loss' in reality means 'we were off our projected target for profit' in most cases it is not an actual loss, they just made less than their business plan forecast.

No, a loss is a real loss. Missing numbers or missing the guidance or missing their target will not be reported as a loss if the business is still making a profit. Whether or not $11M is a big loss is a slightly different question, but I'm not hearing that there was some major investment being made to 'justify' it.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2019, 1:18 pm 

Splake wrote:
Captaincanadian wrote:
Lets keep in mind that a 'loss' in reality means 'we were off our projected target for profit' in most cases it is not an actual loss, they just made less than their business plan forecast.

No, a loss is a real loss. Missing numbers or missing the guidance or missing their target will not be reported as a loss if the business is still making a profit. Whether or not $11M is a big loss is a slightly different question, but I'm not hearing that there was some major investment being made to 'justify' it.

I should have clarified that opening statement a bit further, yes, you are both correct it is not a true loss in the sense of reporting to the CRA or IRS and in the case of MEC it is an actual loss, they lost 11 mil with 485 million in gross sales (if my memory serves me correctly on their figures) which can only be chalked up to mismanagement and or a failure to execute their business plan effectively. Now on the other hand, when big corporations, such as the ones I work for (billions in sales) forecast to earn a certain amount at a certain time, and we don't, when we are explaining to the shareholders, and internally to the organization it is handled, reported and actioned as if it were a loss even though we were still very profitable. Every company handles their affairs differently and how they broadcast that out.

I shop at MEC and hope they can turn things around, I like the products and have had no issues with anything I have purchased there, it would be a shame to see them go under.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 6:34 am 

Elephant in the room...They also chose to alienate a good portion of their demographic with a bone-headed, knee-jerk reaction to social media pressure.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 10:25 am 

I thought there was a line in the most recent financial statement that identified "assets under construction" which could have been written down against earnings... earnings may be lumpy from year to year but I'm not going to spend time trying to figure out MEC's accounting.

The ongoing retail apocalypse may be affecting MEC if they've built out too much bricks and mortar and still have to compete with the likes of Amazon busy killing any and all competition. It seems shopping malls are losing out on this with the malls' real estate selling for big losses in historical terms.

Home Depot is another place that's easy with returns... although I've never had to return a single MEC item, all good quality. Not so true with returns at Canadian Tire or Rona.

PS... Home Depot also has a great deal on shipping... no charge. I tried this, this week, ordered a single light bulb when the online info said "no charge for shipping" and it arrived in 24 hours, no charge. So Home Depot's got it, again, free is free.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 2:46 pm 

There is a new article about MEC's plans to remain solvent......Unfortunately it's a Globe & Mail one behind the paywall.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... o-stay-in/

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 4:16 pm 

The main points in the Globe and Mail article were that MEC is turning its casual staff into permanent or part-time employees with benefits in order to try to arrest staff turnover which the G&M said as 80% in some locations. They are also seeking to lease their HQ accommodation in Vancouver and move into something smaller and cheaper. Finally, they are going to prune their range of products to withdraw from lines where there is strong competition (e.g. yoga wear/Lululemon). The article noted that they haven't had a surplus to distribute to members for at least 2 years.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 10:07 am 

I have been a MEC member since the early 1990's. Over most of that time, MEC was and still is one of my favorite stores. Over the years I have received dividends probably totalling in the range of $700 - $1000, but nothing in the past 1-2 years. I have never abused their generous return policy, I personally feel that it is dishonest to return a product that has been heavily worn/used and expect a full replacement. My biggest beef with MEC (and I have expressed this to them a number of times over the years) is that they do not provide tall sizes of pants for those of us who are taller than average. If I buy pants from MEC, they invariably are too short. That being said, I shop at MEC (in the store or online) every couple of weeks and will continue to do so. I hope they sort out their financial issues as I would hate to see them go.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 1:39 pm 

ice-breaker wrote:
...If I buy pants from MEC, they invariably are too short...

This makes me laugh. When I buy pants from MEC, they are always too long! Maybe I should cut the cuffs and send them your way...

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm 

I enjoyed the good old days when MEC sold tall sizes.
Is it easier for Neil to deal with pants that are too long or for Ice-Breaker and I to deal with pants that are too short?

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
ice-breaker wrote:
...If I buy pants from MEC, they invariably are too short...

This makes me laugh. When I buy pants from MEC, they are always too long! Maybe I should cut the cuffs and send them your way...

Me too!! But then again most places don't carry pants in my size leg (30") so it's hem them or have them drag through the mud....

I loved the old Mec RAD pants with the elastic cuffs. I still have a pair that I only wear on camping trips. I am trying to make them last as long as possible. And the new RAD pants aren't the same no matter what MEC says.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2020, 7:19 pm 

I’m on the fence with there rock solid guarantee. I’ve only needed it two times. One my kids chewed the valve really bad on the Nalgene kids water bottle and it would not stop leaking. So I went in fully willing to buy a pack of new valves but didn’t see any. The website said they had some in stock so I asked a worker if they were any in the back that have not been brought out so he looked and came back empty handed apologized for that, took a valve off a complete new bottle handed it to me and said have a nice day. The second time didn’t work out for me so well. I had bought a MSR quick 2 cook set and the non stick coating started to peel off the lip of the pot from being nested and rubbing on the plate. over the course of 3 years lightly for car camping in the first 2 years and sat in my camping box the 3rd year I figured I would take it back and see what they would say. They deemed it as it being well used and considered it normal wear. I’m waiting for the window of my Tarn 3 tent to fall our and see what they say seeing how that tent is no longer being made.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2020, 8:56 pm 

Just noticed that MEC doesn't have their Scout or Guide tarps in either material anymore. Too bad, tough pieces of gear.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2020, 12:22 pm 

scoops wrote:
Just noticed that MEC doesn't have their Scout or Guide tarps in either material anymore. Too bad, tough pieces of gear.

I wouldn't read too much into this. They're almost certainly going to be releasing newer product to replace the older ones. I'm not sure why they felt like they needed to replace them (they seemed to be well regarded in the outdoors community).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next