View topic - Help a dear man out.

It is currently October 20th, 2020, 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help a dear man out.
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2020, 9:46 pm 

A dear man, who it's been my pleasure to call a friend, has lost his home to the sea.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/gofundme-s ... houseboat/

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vict ... -1.4745329

https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-loss-of- ... y039s-home

I met Barry, and his sweet little companion dog Milo, on my regular paddles on a local waterway. He has lived on this tiny little house-boat for many years. A week ago, he, and Milo, almost lost their lives when his boat was capsized, and washed through the tidal rapids. They lost everything... the boat is not salvageable, and he had no income for insurance.

He's a good-hearted man, who demanded nothing, trying to survive the best way he could. He bothered no one, and just wanted to be left to live in peace with his pup. This winter had been kicking the tar out of him - cold, extremely windy, wet and generally miserable weather. Our weekly visits were heart-warming for both of us. He has no money, and can't possibly replace his home. I'm doing what I can to help, and his sister has set up a gofundme page for Barry and Milo. Please help him if you are able, it would give him the step forward, and positivity he needs right now.

Thank- you,
Daniel

Post subject: Re: Help a dear man out.
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2020, 4:59 pm 

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/vi ... n-one-day/

I'm paddling out to his boat tomorrow with a come-along and ropes. Hoping I can get it upright and secure, so that it can be pumped out and refloated. Hoping Barry will find me as he's gone missing and needs medical attention.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2020, 1:11 pm 

Situation is too complicated at the moment for me to do anything to help with the boat. Without Barry's permission I'm hesitant to touch it - though it seems like it could be floated by blocking off the transom/motor-well, and using a gas-powered pump. Couldn't see the starboard bow as it's underwater so unsure what/if damage is there. High-winds made paddling difficult so I moved in. Barry's disappeared from the hospital again after being found - he obviously isn't comfortable there.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2020, 7:31 pm 

The boat has been salvaged and Barry is in good spirits in the hospital. He's finding he has a whole community of friends and neighbours who care about him, are helping, and are wishing him the best. Good for him!

Today's update...
https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-loss-of- ... y039s-home

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 7:29 pm 

An update. Salvage efforts seem to have failed. Barry's little home is beached in shallow water, secure but full of water. Doesn't look like he'll be able to move back. His dock and moorage has been taken away in his abscence. I haven't talked to him in quite awhile now. I hope he's found a way to live his life. His health is poor. The GoFundMe page is still active if anyone wishes to help. This will be my last update.
Much love to you Barry!
Daniel

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 1:53 am 

I may be flying out to Vancouver in the next couple of weeks, and I'd be happy to help out if I find myself there. Don't know if/when though. Drop me a line/PM here.

Send my best to Barry. Losing your home is not fun.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 4:56 pm 

If you get over to Vancouver Island PF, message me. We could go for a paddle and discuss. I'm not sure where Barry is now. I also have no idea how he wants to proceed, he had a series of strokes in the days leading up to this. Living on a boat may not even be possible for him now. You are best to contact his sister, Twilla Tiferet Welch, through the GoFundMe page. She'll make sure your help goes where he most needs it.
Thank-you for your kindness,
Daniel.