View topic - Following John Hornby through the lens of W.H.B. Hoare

It is currently December 2nd, 2020, 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 7th, 2020, 8:57 am 

One was a success and one was a disaster. Why?

PostPosted: July 8th, 2020, 12:33 pm 

Horny/Bullock found their way to Smart Lake looking for Campbell Lake, the upper Hanbury Watershed, and didn't know where they were. Hoare/Knox fund their way to Campbell Lake, but couldn't find the Hanbury River watershed which started with Smart Lake. Both used Tryrrell's map

PostPosted: July 8th, 2020, 2:52 pm 

Hey Good Looking, looking good!

PostPosted: July 8th, 2020, 3:47 pm 

I believe a similar map shared by Hornby and Hoare

PostPosted: July 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm 

I don't think Tyrrell's map adequate to get to The Hanbury River given that the Hanbury headwater (Campbell Lake) wasn't connected to the Hanbury River.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2020, 11:23 pm 

PostPosted: July 11th, 2020, 4:44 pm 

I had hoped to show the difficulties of of navigating confronting Horny and Hoare given the resources available and the element of serendipity.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 12:09 pm 

It's amazing that anyone found there way anywhere back then with such a maze of waterways and either no maps or incorrect maps. I'm sure we've all experienced the frustration of trying to find the outlet to a river or a portage even when we have good maps. I can't imagine paddling into a 40 mile long lake (or longer) with numerous bays with no map and then being tasked with finding the river's outlet. Or choosing the correct river's inlet.

The only thing worse might be what Hoare and Hornby faced - maps that lied to you. If I remember correctly Knox and Hoare spent a lot of time looking for the connection of two bodies of water that was shown on multiple maps but, in fact, did not exist by a long shot.

Would be a frustrating situation. "Are the map makers wrong or am I not where I think I am?"

Alan

PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm 

"Would be a frustrating situation. "Are the map makers wrong or am I not where I think I am?"

Alan[/quote]

This happens with modern maps. I can't imagine venturing out with hand drawn maps that were no more than summaries and best guesses at best.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 3:08 pm 

I had hoped to present the difficulties to both Hoare and Horny by juxtaposition what available at the time and what is available to us today. Even today, my time, I remember situations where seeking correspondence between map and visuals quite problematic. Dubawnt around Hinde Lake for example. If I remember correctly, Robert Perkins spent some in in one of his films worrying over his location using contemporary 1/50,000 maps. Another time crossing over from Neultin Lake to Baralzon Lake (Wolverine River) and my partner and I were orientating. North to him was 90 Degrees off from my north. Being lost with those maps!! Yikes.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 10:25 pm 

Pg 107 Letters from the Barren Lands, Bullock

June 6th 1925
"Here goes, right away.....we are LOST. Since leaving our winter home, we have been striking across country in search of a certain chain of lakes and a small river. There are thousands of small rivers, and there are dozens of small rivers,....."

Now What was Hornby doing on June 6, 1925?
On the 6th Hornby set out with with his favorite dog Whitey to find a way out to the Hanbury or Thelon,....... Hornby returned at two in the morning having found the route by the simple expedient of dropping bannock crumbs in the water to find the Hanbury current....." Pg 228 The Legend of John Hornby, Whalley

I cannot imagine Bullock thoughts of Hornby's discovery at 2 am.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 9:32 am 

I would like to point out a minor conflict between Walley's "The Legend of John Hornby" and Bullock's "Letters from the Barren Lands"

Walley's book page 228 "On 3 June, at 5 a.m. he noted that they were ' lost hopelessly ' ......"

Pg 107 "Letters from the Barren Lands", Bullock
June 6th 1925
"Here goes, right away.....we are LOST......"