View topic - New Canoe Setup

It is currently December 2nd, 2020, 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Canoe Setup
PostPosted: July 9th, 2020, 12:36 pm 

I thought I'd share my new canoe setup! My dad and I split on the 16' Old Town Discovery that's hanging from the ceiling about 15 years ago (bought used). It's a decent canoe but obviously very heavy and a bit of a pain to paddle solo. I mainly only use it now for tandem paddling or when taking out the kids.

I've had my sights set on a new Nova Craft Prospector for quite some time but it's just not in the budget currently and my main focus is to simply be able to get out on the water more. While skimming through Kijiji, I came across my latest purchase: An Old Town Discovery 119. A tiny little solo version of our bigger canoe (it's even the same colour). I ended up buying it and wanted to be able to store it and all of the associated gear (paddles, PFD and other safety equipment, fishing gear) in such a way that I could get it out of the garage and loaded up as quickly as possible.

I'm very happy with my new (to me) canoe and setup. I know it's not advisable to store a plastic canoe on it's side, but it seems fine, especially with all of the bracing in the area where it rests on the rack. I'm able load the canoe and all my gear on / in the van (without even having to move any vehicles out of the garage) in about 10 minutes. I also go paddling a lot in a small creek that is a few hundred metres from my house. I'm able to load everything up and portage to the creek in about the same amount of time. Since getting the solo canoe, I've been out on the water at least 2 days a week and it's been a blast to paddle and fish from!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New Canoe Setup
PostPosted: July 9th, 2020, 1:23 pm 

two of our canoes have the first photo set up, but we have a 3rd canoe (Kevlar) that can't be hung, and we would like to move it to the set up of the 2nd pictures (but have our reservations.

Post subject: Re: New Canoe Setup
PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 8:58 am 

As did I. I've had it stored like that now for about 3 months. So far I haven't noticed any effects on the hull but I suppose time will tell. Again, I think it should be okay since there is so much bracing in that area of the canoe (the seat, two thwarts, and the removable yoke that I added).