View topic - DuMoine Put In

It is currently December 2nd, 2020, 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DuMoine Put In
PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 7:00 pm 

We are planning a self drive shuttle to the DuMoine. Some of our group have lost their jobs due Covid19 so saving money on shuttles is a good thing for them. We have 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicles
A search online and on google earth leads me to think the river from 10 Mile Lodge is quite a slog and not worth it. Is there another access point to Lac Brulart?
Google earth seems to show a road to the south end of Baie Marion on Lac DuMoine. Has anyone used this to put in? Some maps seem to show a road to the main part of Lac Dumoine across from Isle Quabie. Does anyone know if this road actually goes to the lake.
Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: DuMoine Put In
PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 8:46 am 

Contact Wally Schaber via facebook.
He wrote the book on the DuMoine and has tons of up to date info
(Real book Last of the Wild Rivers)
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010818154688
that should give you one stop shopping to get all the info you need.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 12:21 pm 

The most practical self shuttle for the Dumoine is to put in at the bridge(km 63, Wilson), just below triple play. Take out on Ottawa River or just above Grande Chute for shorter run.

We've done this shuttle w/ low clearance sedans, but knocked a mud flap loose,

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 1:28 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

In 2017 we went to the top of 10 Mile Lake past 10 Mile Lodge and past the first couple of portages at the outlet of 10 mile lake. We put into the North River and didn't portage at all. It was not a drag. We ran a couple of C1's and a C2. before hitting Lac Brulart.

we used Dumoine Valley Outfitters - http://www.dumoinevalley.ca for the shuttle I think it was $400. It is only 100km, but it took every bit of 4 hours. I wouldn't dream of using my vehicle on that road to save a couple of bucks. That road is brutal.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 6:20 pm 

Both roads are brutal. The drive into 10 Mile is on the opposite side of the river from the road you take to get in at the old bridge above Lac Benoit. In August 2019 we hired Noel Leclerc (phone: 613-717-0115) to shuttle us to the bridge. Back in 2015 we hired him to shuttle us into 10 Mile. I'd recommend him. The price difference between the two put-ins isn't huge, either. The trip into 10-Mile is longer of course. The canoeing from 10-mile to Lac Benoit is nice, and can be done in 2-3 days without rushing.
Another option exists if you have two weeks. You can put in at the village of Kipawa and spend 5-7 days paddling and doing a handful of easy portages until you arrive at Lac Dumoine where your river trip begins. Shuttling vehicles between Kipawa and Driftwood PP or Stonecliff is pretty easy as it's all on the highway on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River. That canoe route is described in Hap Wilson's book. I've done that trip twice and enjoyed it, but it is a lot of flat water and there are not a lot of campsites before you actually get onto the river.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 7:32 am 

I've only ever driven into Bridge rapids/Benoit. One planned trip to 10 Mile got changed due to road conditions on that side. From Rapids Des Joachims it's about 3 hours and 90 km one way to the Bridge rapids/Benoit. The route is signed pretty well - follow roads to Grand Chute, then to route 819. The roads seem to deteriorate more and more each year and I suspect will continue on this path unless there is active logging in the area. Out of the 13 times I've been up there, I've only used my own vehicle once. I'd reevaluate the cost of a shuttle before committing to 12 hours drive time and 360 km abuse between 2 vehicles. FYI for anyone planning to go, the bridge over grand chute was scheduled to be replaced sometime this month and will be out for 2 weeks.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 9:44 am 

Thanks for the info.
The last time we were up there would have been in the early '90s and the air base was still running so we flew. I have done the Kipawa-Dumoine 2 week trip as well but that would be too much time for us.

I will talk to our group about re-thinking hiring a shuttle. It does seem to make the most sense.