View topic - ...canoetripping.net hacked...

It is currently December 2nd, 2020, 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 19th, 2020, 5:40 am 

Not throwing stones, but if it is vBulletin that is hacked and not a CPanel, I would immediately put up a new home page. There's no reason to give the criminal additional air time. And it's not like it's a financial processing site - restore the most recent backup, apply the fix, and Bob's your uncle.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2020, 9:44 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
" That other site" is maintained by a volunteer. It is ad free. Admins? :rofl: take the s away and the admin has a day job. So does the IT guy. I do not blame either.

It is probably the best site for canoe repair modify and build info around anywhere and it is missed. When it can come back I will be donating and I suspect many others who find it valuable will also.

I agree with LRC, Canoe Tripping is an incredible resource for canoe repairs, modifications and builds, including wood/canvas, strippers, skin-on-frame and even folks building full on composite hulls with glass, kevlar, carbon and basalt/innegra. I am not a builder, but I have been tinkering with canoes for 30 years and learned a lot of shop technique and practice from those photo essay threads.

Often shoulda thought of that myself tricks, most recently taking a wire wheel brush to disposable chip brushes to remove loose bristles, the bane of cheap chip brush use.

The admin manages the site for free. The costs of running that site, licensing, hosting, IT support, are wholly supported by the contributors via a once a year fundraiser featuring a raffle of handmade gear and equipment. It is a testament to that community that they have kept the site funded for going on 10 years.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2020, 10:28 am 

I hope Canoe Tripping returns soon, I was checking back in for a little reaffirmation, before drilling new 14 holes in a boat......

PostPosted: August 19th, 2020, 10:32 am 

The issue isn't whether it's a good site or not -- it is -- but whether it has the resources to solve this hack. There's been a rolling cast of "IT guys" over the years. I don't understand why the hacker's insidious page can't be taken down during repair, but I'm a techno-rube.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2020, 3:23 pm 

The site is back up and running.