View topic - Connecting Noganosh PP to the Magnetawan

It is currently December 5th, 2020, 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 30th, 2020, 3:25 pm 

Has anyone done the portage on the south end of Noganosh Lake to Sunny Lake recently?

I'm considering a route from Flemmings landing heading through Noganosh to the Mag. and then heading south through Lone Tree and out at Naiscoot Marina. If anyone has information on that area it would be appreciated. Earlier this year when I tried the 2km portage at the east end of Noganosh, only to find that it didn't exist. Hopefully the other portages in the are get more use.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2020, 5:37 pm 

I'm heading that way on Tuesday, Flemings landing through to noganosh, my planned route is to Sunny, Portage, magnetawan,sinclair, deep, John, Last and then back to flemings landing. I will post my findings back and let you know about the link between Noganosh and the Magnetawan

PostPosted: August 31st, 2020, 1:28 pm 

Hey guys, there's a map here with the ports for reference (if needed), but I've never paddled that section.
https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 0&start=15

If you find any errors please let me know and I'll update it. It's a useful connection for several possible routes.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2020, 12:54 pm 

Thanks Scott. That info will be much appreciated!

And that's the map I've used in that area in the past. Thanks for creating that.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 4:41 pm 

Hi cbert, unfortunately I only made it as far as Sunny lake before a storm forced me to hide for a couple hours under a tree. But here is what I can tell you, the portage out of Noganosh is mostly a bushwack. Its only about 75 meters through the bush to the road and was pretty doable. The portage from the road to Sunny lake was just over 150 meters and surprisingly in better condition than I thought it would be. That said, it was not too much more than an animal trail but I was able to navigate my canoe to the waters edge with little difficulty. The side road that heads down towards Sunny and Portage is thick and over grown, about 3/4 of a km down that road there is a small clearing that will be on your left hand side. The back side right side of that small clearing is where you will find the trail that leads down into Sunny lake. I wish I had more information for you, it's not much to go on. I have a trip planned next month with a friend, Wahwashkesh lake to Britt. I will try and check the portage from the Magnetawan to Portage lake while we are in the area.