View topic - Cottonelle wet wipe recall

It is currently December 2nd, 2020, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 9th, 2020, 10:13 pm 

I just got a recall notice from Amazon... I bought some Cottonelle flushable wipes for a trip earlier this year - "Cottonelle Flushable Wet Wipes, 84 wipes per pack, 1 pack:, For Adults and Kids, Alcohol Free, Sewer Safe, Septic Safe".

They detected a bacteria called "Pluralibacter Gergoviae". And notified me of it two months after I'd wiped with it for three weeks... long enough for beaver fever to have come and gone twice by now. From what I can make out it's relatively harmless and is tested for mostly because it quickly spoils cosmetics products.

I thought it was funny. And perhaps someone else bought some. Credit to Amazon and Cottonelle for the communication, but two months? Yikes.

(And yes, wet wipes are fantastic when you can't carry enough TP. I won't go into the shitty details, but trust me on this one. And I highly recommend these specific wipes. I suffer from a couple of gastrointestinal maladies, and these wipes were a godsend.)

Full text:
Quote:
Greetings from Amazon.

We have recently learned of a potential safety issue regarding the following product that our records indicate you purchased from Amazon:

Cottonelle Flushable Wet Wipes, 84 Wipes per Pack, 1 pack, For Adults and Kids, Alcohol Free, Sewer Safe, Septic Safe

Cottonelle has informed us that the product might contain bacterium, Pluralibacter gergoviae, which was detected during product testing. More details, including how to determine if your purchase is impacted and what you should do next can be found in the following notification:

https://www.cottonelle.com/en-us/recallfaq

If you purchased this item for someone else, please notify the recipient immediately and provide them with this information.

The safety and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2020, 8:32 am 

not all wet wipes are biodegradable. And some areas frown on their use. The Everglades does.

https://ubuntumanual.org/are-cottonelle ... egradable/

PostPosted: October 11th, 2020, 9:46 pm 

And, just to further to conversation, flushable wipes are not flushable. They are a major problem for blocking your plumbing system $$$$ and the sewers, as they do not decompose, and even if they say they do, they take years. In municipalites they can be sold, but they are banned from flushing. I am sure you pack them out, but just want to remind others to do so. Of course, you won't be doing that this year due to the recall.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2020, 6:03 pm 

We burned them where we could. It wasn't always possible (possibly due to a lack of planning). The official word from Cottonelle, and all of the research and reviews I could find, including what Cheryl linked to, is that they're biodegradable - but of course, that is very much a matter of how biodegradable they are, and how well you field dress them afterwards. And truth be told, yes, I did end up burying them more often than I would have liked. They're made with wood fiber so I'm not worried about that but it's more whatever they put in them to make them smell nice and feel soft on your tush that I'm concerned about.

No, I'm not proud of using them. But I think I speak for everyone who suffers from bleeding, clotting hemorrhoids when I say that the pain will convince you to bend the rules a bit. Shitting in the rain in a way is nicer, because the leaves are soothingly wet. We took two packages, and used half of one of them, in three weeks.

I don't flush them at home, because I know full well how they will plug your pipes. They do seem to me to be more biodegradable than flushable though (two very different things).