View topic - Canoe campers get throats slit on River

It is currently August 1st, 2021, 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 11th, 2021, 4:39 pm 

Throat guards should be made mandatory while wilderness canoeing and also bringing along a social worker as bowsman.That should solve everything

PostPosted: March 11th, 2021, 10:14 pm 

Sweet Jesus! This story is frightening. I'm planning a trip this season in the Magnetawan area and was planning to put in on Harris Lake. This is the second story this week I've read about about crazy people causing trouble for canoeists in this area...hmm

I always keep my hunting knife and bear spray next to me while I sleep. The bears are not primary reason for this.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2021, 6:43 am 

jbrave wrote:
...do not consume magic mushrooms with people you don't know...

:lol: First thing that came to my mind, too.

I may have a dram before bed, but for me the backcountry is no place for sloppy drunk - so important to have your wits about you.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2021, 8:53 am 

[quote="This is the second story this week I've read about about crazy people causing trouble for canoeists in this area..[/quote]

what's the other one?

PostPosted: March 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm 

Lol Steve of London. I think it was yours and Brad's discussion about gun-toting rednecks near Round Lake if I recall. I was hoping to do a few solo trips in this area this summer in an effort to stay away from overcrowded conditions in Algonquin, Killarney, etc, but it seems there are a whole different set of obstacles to deal with just north of Parry Sound. I got into Noganosh last summer but only had to deal with trashed campsites. As bad as that is, it isn't throat-slitting and gunfire. Maybe between now and then I'll go into "Rambo training mode".

PostPosted: March 12th, 2021, 8:09 pm 

CD...Bummer that the Nog is getting overused.

So the two old losers yes I tried to put them out of mind, 5-6 years ago now south of Harris not actually Harris. The good thing was they were cabin based and only fished. Mostly they were just stupid. Once another member/owner whoever turned up at the place most of the nonsense stopped.
If you X them out, plus a couple inconsiderate power boats and one dude with a Rototiller, it's a99% of everybody is nice.

Let's use positive thoughts and not pre-worry about the summer.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2021, 12:09 am 

Indeed, well said. In reality, I was half joking to begin with. I never actually second guessed my plans for the summer. That being said it is always wise to consider the local yahoo factor, or maybe I've just seen Deliverance one too many times. :wink:

PostPosted: March 16th, 2021, 8:05 pm 

Hmm this isn't very reassuring... But at least I know I won't be taking any substances or drinking, and planned to avoid people on the trip I'm planning....

Someone here said "and people worry about the bears"... I agree that's all I was really worried about were bears, or like starving/drowning/breaking a bone other than that it's human beings...

Hopefully I just won't see many people haha.

The "cabin group" sound like they come from the city for sure. I hate the city/civilization... Spent enough of my life there.

One of those days you wish Canada had firearms rights... I think a crazed hunter or something to that effect would be more concerning than someone with a knife, that, I could probably handle.... Can't shoot back on the other hand if you have nothing to shoot back with...

PostPosted: March 17th, 2021, 4:40 am 

Revenant, depends where you are tripping, but up here, Wilderness carry of non-restricted firearms, such as a shotgun with slugs, is permitted for protection (from animals). I have taken guns along on trips before, but usually only when someone on the trip has bearanoia, I find them more of a hinderance than a help. Also, if a situation with defective humans occurs, guns usually escalate things to the point of no return. I still think bear spray would be the best non-lethal human deterrent, having been back sprayed once, I can attest to the incapacitating qualities of spray. However scary the story of the mushroom-head throat slitter is, we can take comfort in the fact that this kind of behaviour is very random and rare, and not something to generally worry about.

Personally, I think parts of the story were left out, I have never met a violent mushroom user, unless you consider the fact that they try to blow your mind with astute observations about the god like qualities of a dandelion. Sounds to me like they were into the blow, or meth, drugs much more likely to cause throat slitting than the peaceful mushroom.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2021, 7:47 pm 

RHaslam wrote:

Personally, I think parts of the story were left out, I have never met a violent mushroom user, unless you consider the fact that they try to blow your mind with astute observations about the god like qualities of a dandelion.

I nearly spit out my tea when I read that. A true LOL.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2021, 7:42 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
Revenant, depends where you are tripping, but up here, Wilderness carry of non-restricted firearms, such as a shotgun with slugs, is permitted for protection (from animals). I have taken guns along on trips before, but usually only when someone on the trip has bearanoia, I find them more of a hinderance than a help. Also, if a situation with defective humans occurs, guns usually escalate things to the point of no return. I still think bear spray would be the best non-lethal human deterrent, having been back sprayed once, I can attest to the incapacitating qualities of spray. However scary the story of the mushroom-head throat slitter is, we can take comfort in the fact that this kind of behaviour is very random and rare, and not something to generally worry about.

Personally, I think parts of the story were left out, I have never met a violent mushroom user, unless you consider the fact that they try to blow your mind with astute observations about the god like qualities of a dandelion. Sounds to me like they were into the blow, or meth, drugs much more likely to cause throat slitting than the peaceful mushroom.

Canoe Daddy wrote:
RHaslam wrote:

Personally, I think parts of the story were left out, I have never met a violent mushroom user, unless you consider the fact that they try to blow your mind with astute observations about the god like qualities of a dandelion.

I nearly spit out my tea when I read that. A true LOL.

I also laughed. I've never met a violent shroomer either. Hahaha. I also agree usually nothing to worry about and few and far between. It was just all the memories living in the city that came back. Always looking over your shoulder there. No bearanoia here, they're pretty peaceful themselves unless hungry or they have their kids around. I'll remember the bearspray and thanks for the info on carrying of NR firearms for wilderness travel I'll have to check that out.

I think if it came to it a spear in defense of an animal like a bear is probably more efficient. Harder to miss with the spear.

I love animals though so. I'd prefer to bring food along and resupply, fish and eat the berries than go hunting for anything. I'm only one person after all.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2021, 7:00 pm 

The throat slitter of the two canoeists was sentenced this week and got two years

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 5:44 am 

Wow, two years seems kinda light for a throat slitter. Doesn't that qualify as attempted murder?

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 8:57 am 

Plea bargaining... you slip me some of those shrooms and I'll lighten the sentence...

:o

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 3:17 pm 

This sentence is shocking- would love to know how he got it reduced. Even manslaughter gets more!