View topic - Reply/Compose Private Message Ad position

It is currently July 24th, 2021, 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 18th, 2021, 10:54 pm 

When I go to a private message to compose or reply, the editor opens and I can type but the ads on the right hand side are over the editor window and not in their normal position to the right hand side of the text box.

Thus the ads cover what you are typing once there is enough text toward the right hand side of the text box.

It was the same on my desktop computer as well as my smart phone.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2021, 6:00 am 

Yup, same for me, I usually end up ending my typing before the add so I can see what I typed.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2021, 9:57 am 

Same for me. I've started pressing "Enter" when my typing gets close to the ads so that none of my typing is covered.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2021, 10:19 am 

Thanks to my typing teacher 35 years ago, I just keep typing and it shows up a few words later.
A quick double check by preview and then send.

But ya, it's been like this for a while.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2021, 11:52 am 

Glad I checked the threads again, I was just typing up a post for the admins to fix this since it is very annoying. I finally just opened up word, typed it there and then cut/paste. I am glad it is not just me. I tried three different PC too.. lol

Hopefully they fix it, should be very simple for any web master to fix, if not I am sure someone has a 10yr old that can fix it :D

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: March 19th, 2021, 4:14 pm 

lol. I love this site but that is my biggest bugbear. Like others I have to cut and paste messages from another word processing application. If only those ads were 2.5" to the right...

PostPosted: March 19th, 2021, 9:07 pm 

This particular quirk has been in effect since the first board revamp when the WCA took over the board (ie:about 15 years ago).

The other one I complained about at the time, the non-functional "top" button was eventually fixed. Not sure if it was because I told the mods that I would join WCA IF they fixed the top button. Took a couple of years but eventually it was fixed and I joined WCA.

Maybe if enough people state they will join WCA if the ads get moved over it will get fixed.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2021, 1:25 pm 

All ready joined!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2021, 5:53 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

recped wrote:
This particular quirk has been in effect since the first board revamp when the WCA took over the board (ie:about 15 years ago).

The other one I complained about at the time, the non-functional "top" button was eventually fixed. Not sure if it was because I told the mods that I would join WCA IF they fixed the top button. Took a couple of years but eventually it was fixed and I joined WCA.

Maybe if enough people state they will join WCA if the ads get moved over it will get fixed.

No promises! If there is a campaign to join the club maybe the money could be used to pay someone who knows what they are doing :lol:

The website is coded in Drupal 8.0, which is modular freeware. Nothing is perfect, especially when it is free.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2021, 8:34 am 
CCR Site Administrator

I looked for this a little, but your suspicions are accurate. It is not a simple setting that can be modified; because the width of the PM text box is embedded in the site's module templates. ie. there will be no effect of the browser, phone, or other interface. It is embedded in the site's core coding.