View topic - The reasons for going solo.

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 10th, 2016, 5:42 pm 

That is a great pic Lonestroker :)

PostPosted: March 10th, 2016, 6:02 pm 

Dog paddler here too.

Image20120824_002 by Alan, on Flickr

Pretty sure I'm socially defective. It's not that I don't like people, and lots of times I even like being around them. But when I'm around other people I have a hard time being myself. Have a hard time doing the things that will make me happy because I'll just give in and do what makes them happy. Have a hard time not constantly thinking/worrying if what I'm doing is bothersome/annoying/anti-social. I pussy foot around sources of contention, in an effort to not offend, and it ends up coming off as more offensive than if I'd just been blunt and direct. I also have a tendency to offend by my joking around even though that's not what I mean. It's not until after I say something stupid that I realize it was stupid.

Nor do I like to make plans. And if I do make them I like to break them and do whatever I feel like doing at any given moment. Paddle hard when I want and slow when I want. I'll go to bed planning to have a rest day only to wake up in the morning and feel like traveling hard. I've found most people don't like to do this. Or if they do they want to do it on their terms, not mine.

So I guess I travel solo to keep from inflicting myself on others. Thankfully I get along pretty well with myself and enjoy my solo travels immensely. Hoping for a 45 day solo (with the dog) this summer.

I get a kick out of posts about people being nervous about their first solo. I've never done a group trip and I'd be just as anxious, if not more so, about that.

Alan

PostPosted: March 10th, 2016, 10:08 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
That is a great pic Lonestroker :)
Thanks Sam. She's a hard one to get a good photo from the front.

Alan - sounds like you've got the perfect companion for your tripping adventures

PostPosted: March 11th, 2016, 12:13 am 

Really enjoyed reading your post Alan...I can relate!

Love seeing pics of other paddlers dogs! That's the first thing I look for when I see a canoe paddling by...

PostPosted: March 12th, 2016, 12:51 pm 

I love it when my wife comes along but it's not her favorite thing so I do a lot of my backcountry trips solo. I often trip with friends and family but do enjoy the solitude and the freedom that soloing provides; starting early and arriving to camp early; setting my own pace; dropping a line in the water on a whim not really caring much if I catch anything; late afternoons with a book and maybe a glass of merlot; letting my mind wander as I watch a lingering sunset.

I also find I'm much more aware of the environment around me when I am solo. The buzz of the insects, the flap of bird wings above, the wind in the trees. I find it all very soothing.

I don't feel any loneliness or boredom when I'm out there and maybe that's due to Corky The Wonderdog always being close at hand. She's a good listener, has sharp eyes and ears, and an amazingly accurate internal clock to remind me when it's dinnertime.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 5:18 pm 

The reason. And possibly the only reason is that I have a hard time of steering from the bow. I hate making a spider trail all over the lake. Rivers ok.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2016, 1:45 pm 

Now if only we could teach the dogs to paddle ...