View topic - Added safety precautions when going solo?

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 8:20 pm 

Much of my tripping is solo, whether I solo in a group or completely alone. So for me the question should be what do I add for family or group tripping?

Otherwise my considerations are dictated by the nature of the trip planned. If no portages, than I go heavy and luxurious - chairs, music, chainsaw, and coolers of ice.

If I go for several days, and portage many kilometres, than a solo tent or hammock, some Rum instead of the Beer, dehydrated foods instead of steaks, and soon a 35lbs Swift Shearwater in Kevlar Fusion instead of a 70lbs royallex Raven. :thumbup:

Come onnnnn, Spring!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 5:30 am 

one great suggestion i read for finding barrel/bag on the way back is reflrctive tape. i put it on my bags,barrel,my hamock and a temperary piece at my litreen spot. it realy helps in the dark.
turtle

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 1:47 pm 

I don't really take any extra safety gear, but I'm conscious of being vulnerable to accidents like a twisted ankle on a portage trails, hypothermia if I dump far from shore, knee or back injuries if I try to carry my big pack and canoe at the same time, etc., so I just take it easy and careful. At least there's no-one else around to call me an old lady. I don't usually drink on solo trips either.

I leave my small forest axe handy just outside the hammock too, in case I have to fight zombie bears riding werewolves.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 4:35 pm 

"in case I have to fight zombie bears riding werewolves"

:rofl: I've heard them out there :lol:

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 11:26 am 

I don’t know that I do much differently when tripping solo than when paddling with my family or other companions. My cautions and precautions with family or friends are geared as much towards their strengths and abilities as my own.

Some things I do whether solo or with a group.

I pack gear and clothing for one season colder than anticipated. On summer trips I pack for fall conditions, spring and fall I pack for winter conditions. Having been snowed on in north Florida with plenty of shorts and tee shirts and a light sleeping bag was a lesson learned.

I allot at least one extra day for every four or 5 days on the water, and pack enough extra food (and water if needed) to cover those days. I’ve been windbound on a large coastal bay for several days, stretching foodstuffs by foraging for clams and oysters. Another lesson learned.

On tidal trips or areas without a potable water source I do not dump “extra” water until I have actually reached my take out point. Thirst is a terrible thing, especially when mentally chanting “Dummy, dummy, dummy” after dumping the “extra” water on the “last” day and not actually making it out.

I leave food, water and a set of clean, dry clothes in the take out vehicle. Reaching the take out wet, dirty, hungry and thirsty and still being an hour’s drive from the nearest anything is a happier moment is I have those things awaiting me.

Along those same lines I leave some anticipated “reward” in the take out vehicle. A couple of Guinness, a pack of smokes, a moonpie and grape Nehi, whatever keeps you paddling with the relish of anticipation those last few miles after a tiring trip.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 11:56 am 

especially in cold water,but even in warm,i stay close to shore. the scenery is better there anyway.
turtle

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 2:54 pm 

I will gear down the type of rapids I run when solo and take a bit more extra food than normal. I think the biggest change is that I pack like I would for a backpacking trip with the rest of my gear. I want everything to weigh and take up as little room as possible to make portages as quick, so some of the creature comforts get left at home. I try to single trip all my portages, although that's not always possible.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 9:46 pm 

I too am mulling over the notion of 'added safety precautions when going solo'. I guess I think of it more the other way around: safety precautions that are neglected or ignored in groups. The most unsafe & reckless trip I ever took was a group trip back in 2005. Ultimately I aborted.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 10:19 pm 

Good to see you post again Steve!
:thumbup:
I too with a group will do much more "stuff"
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 24th, 2013, 6:39 am 

I carry a PLB now for any trip. I add SPOT if solo, to entertain the family at home.

Solo I always try to paddle early before the wind comes up and never too close to shore in reflecting wave areas and points. That's where you can find confused seas. But for sure close to normal shore lines and preferentially to the shore with the wind shadow.

Just to add to Mike McMcreas "never dump water " rule. Ditto. I arrived back at the launch with everything covered in fine sand yesterday. It was nice not to load gritty stuff in the vehicle.

I agree with Steve. The winds were up yesterday and I paddled into them solo . My early morning rule hadn't quite worked. I started the first miles in pea soup fog and the wind came up at 9 AM blowing off the fog but making paddling tough. It was hard work but stable and safe. Going downwind would have been another matter. A group of 10 kayakers with gear loaded on top (!)of the kayaks left to go downwind in three to four foot seas. Some were novices but felt compelled to "go with the flow". Within half an hour two novices had dumped.. the others managed to get them to shore and four others came back to get the vehicle. Trip aborted..they picked up the rescuees downwind..luckily there was access..the last for miles.. Seems in group there is a tendency toward "herd mentality"

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 1:53 pm 

I always carry an extra bottle/box of Zinfandel [or sub an extra of Islay's products] when solo tripping. Could get wind bound/whatever and it would be embarrassing to be caught without.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 7:19 pm 

Charlie Wilson wrote:
I always carry an extra bottle/box of Zinfandel [or sub an extra of Islay's products] when solo tripping. Could get wind bound/whatever and it would be embarrassing to be caught without.

I'm enough of a klutz to avoid imbibing on most Northern trips. Beach camping is another matter.

You need a wine, preferably a sugary box wine, to attract bugs that otherwise might bother you. The wine is a Franzia Chardonnay. Terribly inexpensive.

Here are some Everglades no seeums in sufficient numbers to be quite visible though the picture is awfully blurry.

Because the bugs were having such fun, they were not on me. And next morning the raccoons had drunk the wine. And were not bothering me otherwise.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 7:29 pm 

...Australian Shiraz, Pukaskwa Coastline, as per my avatar. ;-) And there was more where that came from. I was prepared to be windbound for days.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 9:45 am 

Quote:
I always carry an extra bottle/box of Zinfandel [or sub an extra of Islay's products] when solo tripping...

All our grim-faced fishing boat captain would say when asked about the possibility of taking on water with large scary waves building... "Do the words ...glug, glug, glug... mean anything to you?"...

Glad to hear there's another option possible on windbound canoe trips.

:wink:

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 11:14 am 

canoeguitar wrote:
...Australian Shiraz, Pukaskwa Coastline, as per my avatar. ;-) And there was more where that came from. I was prepared to be windbound for days.

Those tetra packs of wine have to be one of the best improvements to canoe tripping in ages. :)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next