View topic - up the creek - what's your approximation on distance/day?

It is currently January 22nd, 2020, 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 10:08 am 

Hi there,

all those who have gone upstream solo: can you share an approximation on the distance one could be looking at? solo! And to make it more specific. Lets choose the Mackenzie River and/or the Coppermine. How much time would I want to take into account for each 100 KMs - UP!

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 2:34 pm 

Too many variables for me to even hazard a guess. Sorry.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 4:11 pm 

So let's say you can paddle 5 km/hour solo. Now add on a five km/hr. current coming your way and figure out where that puts you!

Check out the Canoe North website; it looks like a goldmine of info on Mackenzie River paddling. Here is one comment it makes about water current on the Mackenzie -

Quote:
There is a good current going through Ft. Providence and then there is little current until the river narrows after Mills Lake. You will then have good current until you hit the delta and then it will slow again.  The current varies with the water levels. So you would expect the flows to be quicker in June than in August.

http://www.canoenorth.ca/content/self-g ... er-deh-cho

The Yukon is not the Mackenzie and we went with the flow instead of against it. We did the 760-km. trip in 10 easy days; the average current speed was about 5 or 6 km/hr. I am glad we were going down to Dawson from Whitehorse!

Maybe you should just go with the flow on the Mackenzie too!

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 11:20 pm 

It would depend greatly on the character of the river - pool and drop or steady current. Regarding your example rivers, I note that Adam Shoalts, on his solo trip recounted in "Beyond the Trees", traveled up the Mackenzie from Tsigetchic to the Great Bear river, and then up the Coppermine from the Kendall to Rocknest Lake. You might review his writings to see what kind of pace he made.

jmc

PostPosted: Yesterday, 7:46 am 

Read Adam Shoalts book "Beyond the Trees". I think it will answer most of your questions and give you a great idea on both rivers going upstream.