View topic - Extra comforts when going solo?

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 1:38 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
And your solo trips are where? :rofl: Remind me not to go there.

Ditto to that. The last thing I want to hear while camping is someone else's music. I'm sure the creatures of the forest don't want to hear it either!

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 3:08 pm 

EZ was joking, I think... although I must admit that on a port a boombox mounted inside the canoe would provide some awesome acoustics, just think about the energy in there. Gotta try that with Led Zep's first album, Dazed and Confused cranked all the way, up to eleven.

PS... I almost forgot to add the smiley... awh the hell with it.... communication breakdown, it's always the same...

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 10:13 pm 

I almost always trip solo so maybe I can't really answer the question. However, I really don't think I would bring anything different if I were to trip with a group.

I do bring one thing whenever possible now, which I didn't when I was a mere quinquagenarian: a 10 pound, full-sized, reclining bag chair. No more sitting on rocks, logs or sissy folding things for me.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 11:53 am 

Glenn MacGrady wrote:
I do bring one thing whenever possible now, which I didn't when I was a mere quinquagenarian: a 10 pound, full-sized, reclining bag chair. No more sitting on rocks, logs or sissy folding things for me.

I'm about at that point myself. Only 30 and my back is always toast when portaging. Switching to a hammock has helped but sitting on a log by the fire trying to read is painful without back support.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 12:16 pm 

I always bring a chair of some sort. If the trip includes long portages it may only be one of those folded L shaped-cloth chairs with the strap to provide back support but at least that. Often though it is a very small (almost child sized) folding chair. It probably weighs 4 pounds but worth it.

I bring an ipod to listen to podcasts/music at night when there are noises in the campsite. Nothing worse for my sleep than listening to a chipmunk and assume it is a bear. I'd rather not hear anything.

I bring a monocular on my solo trips. It is so comforting to be able to see a portage from a distance.

And at least one book that I have read before and loved. I do a lot of reading in the evenings (or at least intend to). I used to bring an e-reader...until the screen cracked once and I was essentially without reading material for a few days.

Also a bit of red wine for the first night regardless of portage length and a bit of cheap rye for any other night. And cigars.

I always bring way too much food. Terrified of being hungry. I am working on cutting it down.

That's it. My core equipment is really light so a few luxuries work for me.

Killarney Campsites - check it out... http://sites.google.com/site/killarneycampsites/Home

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 3:34 pm 

I bring along a Blackberry playbook , I can listen to music , read a book for days with it , or load it with some outdoor videos it will last 10 hours

Can load pdf maps , and also has camera

At aprox 1lb , it breaks up the night , when it's to cloudy for star gazing

That and a Helinox chair , getting too old for sitting on rocks

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 9:49 pm 

Hey Mcthiel, I just saw you question.

Funny thing is we just bought a Powermonkey Extreme solar charger for charging our electronics while tripping. No more having to ration our power.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2013, 10:53 am 

It's funny, but my Scotch seems to double in age when I am solo vs. camping with a group! :D

I am also an odd one in that I'll cook more intricate meals solo, there's no way I am making Eggs Benedict with freshly caught fried fish & bagels for half a dozen...but a decadent solo brunch after a morning of fishing, it's not bad. :D