View topic - setting up a clipper tripper for solo

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 11:49 pm 

hi there
I just got a used clipper tripper and need to set it up to be used for my solo needs. has anyone got so pics or any advice on a good setup. it has the bucket seats in it so using the front seat backwards it out. I would like to also use it to put my kids in the middle so a seat that can be used for solo paddling would be a plus.
thanks
spudly

PostPosted: July 15th, 2013, 3:30 pm 

Many would not agree, but I would put a solo thwart or a foam pedestal right up close to the center thwart or portage yoke. This will mean your solo paddle will enter the water somewhat up along the bow, where it is narrower. I'm finding that less correction is necessary (few J-strokes, or less J per correction) from that position.

If you are back far from the center, you will be reaching out rather than in to take the catch. Being far back produces a force vector situation that requires more J or rudder.

The Clipper is a tandem, and without looking up the specs, I suppose it must have a beam of about 34 inches, or a little more. I'm very tall, and I can reach out over the gunwales of a tandem without needing to shift my butt toward the paddle side. You might want a solo thwart that allows a butt shift.

Put one kid in the front and one in the back, and set them up for paddling.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2013, 4:26 pm 

I'll second the kneeling thwart, especially with kids.
It is a lot of boat, but with you in complete control in the middle the kids can be allowed to take on as much boat handling as they can handle. All the time you can be ready for anything.
We've tripped with this setup.

You can make the brackets or buy them from Western Canoe and Kayak (Clipper).

PostPosted: July 15th, 2013, 9:43 pm 

that just what I'm looking for. When I can get the wife out kids in the middle and when I go out myself "me" I the middle.
thanks that looks great :thumbup:
spudly

PostPosted: August 25th, 2013, 9:00 am 

Why dont you just cruise some kijiji adds in the fall and pick up a cheap smaller boat for yourself to paddle solo. The clipper is really not a great option for solo work. There are lots of older fibreglass boats for sale, and the odd cedar canvas one too. Rather than put time and effort into something that will be a hassle to use and reduce your fun, get one just for yourself.
I have a cedar strip tandem (15.5ft) that I use for soloing and it is ideal. Works good for tandem too. Even having said that,I just picked up a couple of 14ft canvas canoes, one of which I have the intention of making into my solo boat.

There, thats my two cents worth.

Christy