View topic - Swift Heron info

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Swift Heron info
PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 5:22 pm 

Charlie Wilson wrote:
JRR Tolkien had a thing about older works of man being better than more recent. then again, his life's work, other some fine literature we all enjoy, was teaching Beowulf to Oxford students.

In the real world, we no longer fly in planes with Sitka spars, and the mantra "stronger, lighter, faster and better" is usually served.

And you are selling your unique Nakoma just when? :rofl:

The Keewaydin solo series fills a good niche. The 15 was a fine boat when I paddled your demo at Adirondack Canoe Symposium but it didn't make my heart go pitter patter.

Remebering DY at a Collinsville event back in the 90's when I bought a Dandy..cheap.. he said much the same as you. He said it was an interesting boat but there were more recent better ones.

He was quite correct. The Dandy was elegant and that was about it.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 6:41 pm 

Charlie Wilson wrote:
The Swift Heron was the seventh in Davis Yost's Solo Tripper series, the fifth "full sized" one. It was 15 ft long, 12.5 deep at center, and had bubble sided tumblehome, rails 26", max beam 29, waterline 27" with symmetrical rocker of 1.5".

I never noticed it being light/tippy/whatever. It didn't sell well in Canada, being considered too small for those preferring poutine to yoga. The smaller 14.5'
Loon went nowhere at all in the early 90s.

Times change more than hulls. The new Keewaydin 15 is 15 ft long, 12.5" deep amidships, with bubble sided tumblehome, rails 25.5", max beam 29.5", waterline 26.5 with asymmetrical, stepped rocker, 2" bow, 1" stern. Roughly the same boat, with less arch in the quarters and more and differential and stepped rocker. Kee is more stable, faster and more maneuverable than Heron, but they are basically the same boat, tweaked a little as the designer has experimented and learned. The even newer Kee 14 is, similarly, not very far removed from the older Loon, but selling like hotcakes in December to smaller solo paddlers who have felt ignored by the marketplace. ?

Swift has recently moved their sliding seat into the options list, which is a good thing. It optimizes function, allowing easy trim adjustment, for sitting paddlers, but is flat and a little low for those of us who kneel.

So why the current success of hulls that didn't flourish two decades ago? I think we're taking shorter trips than we used to with better, lighter and more compact gear. Stick skills have improved a little, and yoga studios are proliferating. ?? Swifts adjustable solo portage yoke will probably fit that Heron pretty well. I prefer Chosen Valley Pads because they are lighter, dry faster and offer width adjustment. Best install wheel nuts for instant adjustment.

I'm just returning to the possibility of owning a solo boat years after having gone the small tandem route (Mattawa) on my first time round. The last time I looked at solo boats, the Loon and the Heron were some of the main choices. Nice to have the context in this post, as I just saw one of the new Keewaydins on the weekend and a very nice looking boat it is.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 10:05 pm 

The Heron is an ancestor of the Kee
Let's call Heron the grumpy opinionated fast uncle
The Kee is everyone's friend. No slouch but it takes time to enjoy the roses and the paddler

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 11:43 pm 

I love Yost boats. I bought a Curtis LadyBug back in '86 that's still my favourite canoe and also have a Dragonfly sitting out back. I had a Loon and a Heron for a couple of years. I'm small, so liked the Loon better. Picked up a Curtis Vagabond that goes like stink a few years ago. Not as fast as the Sawyer Shock Wave or DY Special, but you'd hardly trip in either of those. My tandem boat is an old Sawyer X-17, another outstanding Yost boat. Just saw the Keewaydin 14 for the first time a week ago and am eager to try one out.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 11:50 pm 

You're gonna love the Heron Bob.