View topic - Pondering the Wenonah Wilderness

It is currently December 10th, 2019, 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 27th, 2014, 8:43 am 

Well, since the dog doesn't seem at all inclined to help out with the paddling, I have been playing with the idea of getting a solo for Algonquin lake tripping and know of a gently used Wenonah Wilderness - base model: Royalex, vinyl gunwales - that may be coming up for sale next month.

Couple of questions for the resident experts:

I'm 6'2", 240 lbs. The dogs 65 lbs. So with gear, etc I'm looking at 350 lbs or more.
Is the Wilderness able to handle this weight easily? I can't seem to find much on its capacity.

New, this canoe is $1399.
What would a reasonable used price be?
Alternatively, if I was to wait to the end of the season, what sort of a discount should I expect on the purchasing of a new one?

Thanks in advance for your input.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2014, 9:12 am 

I have one, and I'm about 240 LBS, it would handle 350 no problem at all as i have had at least that much worth of gear/trail maintenance equipment in it at one time.

I think i paid 999.99 + tax for a "used" (i scratched it more on the way home then it had on it when i picked it up.) I wouldn't expect to get much of a discount off the full price at the end of season.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 7:00 am 

WeNoNah's Wilderness is one of a very few solo trippers designed for larger folk.
It will haul a load but is hampered by total lack of rocker. With the pup up front where interested eyes can see what it's doing, you may need to move the seat aft to trim the hull a little down by the stern.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 8:27 am 

you may or may not be aware that royalex boats are no longer being made, due to the cessation of production

that is very likely to influence price, so I wouldn't expect to see any discount at the end of the season on a new boat. It is also likely that someone esle wanting a Rx Wilderness will buy that boat before the end of the season.

If you really want that boat, in RX, I'd say go ahead and buy it now. Otherwise, you may find yourself looking for one in the used market, which is also likely to get pricier due to no longer being made.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 7:38 pm 

Ditto what Charlie said.

I'm 6'1, 250lbs and it handles me and my gear quite well (although I pack fairly light). The boat is very trim sensitive so although I one-shot my ports, I have to split my pack in two to get everything balanced.