View topic - Snakebites when Solo

It is currently December 12th, 2019, 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Snakebites when Solo
PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 7:45 am 

I have a solo trip to Killarney planned for this summer and have questions about doing solo trips in areas with massassauga rattlesnakes.

1) When solo I usually sleep on the ground. In the summer I just bring a tarp and a hanging bug-net so unlike a tent or even a bivy there is nothing to keep a snake away. I know rattlers are shy, are they curious enough to slide up to a warm body lying fairly still on the ground or are they scared away by a large creature?

2) In the unlikely event of a bite, what does one do when solo in backcountry. General advice is to stay still and get medical attention quickly. When solo my options will typically be to:
1 - stay still and wait, probably will be found by someone who can get help, expected time to wait for help and then get to a hospital could be 2 days
2 - get to an access point or other source of outside help asap, most places in Killarney I could do this within a day but only by pushing hard.

This may be a situation where a transponder would help. Does anybody have other strategies? I know it is a low risk to start with.

Post subject: Re: Snakebites when Solo
PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 9:51 am 

Buy or rent as PLB there are other higher risks than snakes when solo

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 1:42 pm 

Just happened to find this on the NOLS site looking for something else. It's worth the 4 minutes it takes to view.
https://www.outdoored.com/media/nols-my ... nake-bites

The fact that just because you got bit (a low probability in itself) doesn't mean that you got envenoned by the snake makes what to do somewhat tricky if asymptomatic. Yes, you should evac -- but should you immediately call for help? This is where a satphone and contact with a medical professional could be more useful that the all or nothing of a SPOT or PLB. I probably would start a self-evac and only pull the pin on the transponder if symptoms appear.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 4:04 pm 

This article being about Ontario might be relevant:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013 ... _says.html

I understand the "consider all the risks" concept (of course I don't follow it) but even in Killarney a snake bite is so far down the list I've never really given it any thought. From what I know from my Killarney visits and the likelyhood of a bite here's how I would look a it.

I would have a SPOT with me on a solo trip, not for a snakebite but rather for a more likely scenerio such as an injury to a critical limb, severe burn, stroke or even a bear attack.

If I were to get bitten by what I thought was possibly a mass rat, I would sit tight, wait to ascertain if it was a poisonous bite, if so move to an accessible location and send off a 911 knowing that for that location assistance would probably arrive within one hour (during daylight). Even in darkness or bad weather given the proximity of a rescue helicopter self-extraction doesn't sound like a good plan for situations where time is critical.

Different type of rattlesnack but probably similar, good info here:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/natural_re ... ebites.pdf

Some things consistent from the sources I checked; if bitten remain calm, no exertion, elevate the limb, seek treatment asap. All these are all things that go counter to the self-evac plan.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 8:53 pm 

Recped.

Well, if you can get an extraction within a couple of hours, I would agree. I don't know Killarney. But anywhere outside an urban area this sounds optimistic.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 11:29 pm 

It's 45km from Sudbury, besides at least one OPP chopper and a dedicated air ambulance there are a number of private operators there and more spread around within 75km. Additional "public" aircraft are 75 - 150km away (North Bay, Manitoulin, Parry Sound. Floats planes can also land on a number of the lakes within the park.

In July/August unless you are on a lake with a single site there will likely be people not far away, it might be wise to attempt to make contact should your condition deteriorate while you wait for help.

There is cell service in Killarney Village but in the park itself I think you would have to climb pretty high up to have any chance.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 8:35 am 

I had a helicopter extraction for a student up on Ara Lake, north of Nakina, roughly 16 or 1700 k north of Toronto, in 45 minutes. Those helicopter people are first rate.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 8:40 am 

Not worth worrying about, be happy if you get a chance to see one.

http://www.massasauga.ca/stewardship_gu ... 4/pg38.htm

PS- if it were me I'd just end my trip a bit early and paddle/walk out and go to a walk in clinic or nearest hospital. Maybe be a bit more concerned if a child or small dog was bitten. Even then I'd likely just paddle/walk them out.

And if your bent on never being bitten...just don't go picking them up lol.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 12:31 pm 

I haven't generally brounght a PLB to Killarney in the summer since I figure I could grab someone's attention for help within a day at most. I may reconsider that rationale for reasons other than snakes.

Does anyone have any insight on massassauga's behaviour and if sleeping under a bugnet (that won't be any hindrance to ground creatures) on the ground is a bad idea? I'm wondering if a still warm body on the ground is not scary to them but rather enticing on a cool night? Ridiculous possibility?

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 12:32 pm 

They are very shy.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 12:43 pm 

Snakes get the attention but it seems ticks more likely to damage you in reality.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 12:47 pm 

glenm wrote:
I haven't generally brounght a PLB to Killarney in the summer since I figure I could grab someone's attention for help within a day at most. I may reconsider that rationale for reasons other than snakes.

Does anyone have any insight on massassauga's behaviour and if sleeping under a bugnet (that won't be any hindrance to ground creatures) on the ground is a bad idea? I'm wondering if a still warm body on the ground is not scary to them but rather enticing on a cool night? Ridiculous possibility?

Check the link I gave. I'd say not very likely. Garter Snakes are by far more common...how many times has a Garter done that to you? For me none.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 2:03 pm 

Sam82, yes I saw that link. It was actually the repeated statement that there have been fatalities due to rattler bites in Ontario in the last 40 years and that the two older ones were attributed to lack of medical attention that made me think of the "time/effort to get to help" question.

Your point about a garter or other snake trying to get close is a valid one. I have never had that happen.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 2:08 pm 

steve.of.london

I didn't think there were any black-legged ticks in Killarney? Although I do know someone who's dog got a suspicious bite (bullseye rash after) in Algonquin. Further south I would defnitely agree with you.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 7:18 pm 

Hey Glen,

I can understand if you are concerned about the sleep situation regardless of the chances of it actually happening...you could consider a hammock. Plus they are comfy and light.