View topic - New Solo Canoe from Clipper Canoes

It is currently July 19th, 2019, 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 1:45 pm 

The Prospector 16 is often paddled solo from the front seat, with the boat travelling stern-first. Since the boat is symmetrical, it doesn't matter. The Caribou S (solo) is symmetrical too, but it is intended to be paddled from near centre. For efficient maneuvering, the centre paddling station is more effective.

If you want to make a drawing of the Planform (viewed from above) gunwale lines of the Caribou S, you'll need a piece of graph paper that will allow an 18.5" line (tape two pieces of graph paper together).

Draw the centreline 18.5" long.
Divide it into quarters-- 4 sections of 4. 625" (4 and 5/8").
At centre, mark points 1.375" (1 and 3/8") perpendicular to either side of your line.
At the quarters, mark points 1.0625" (1 and 1/16") perpendicular to either side of your line.

This is a scale of approximately 10:1; I rounded the large decimal points up to simplify the drawing-- therefore the drawing is a few percent wider than actual boat.

With a flexible ruler or a thin wood batten (like a cedar strip) about 4 feet long for good flex, join all the points to the ends of the line. Do the same for the other side. Round off 1/4" on each end (stem), and that's approximately how it looks from hull skin to hull skin (no gunwales).

Last edited by Peach Canoe on January 21st, 2016, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 3:06 pm 

Not only more effective from a paddling mechanics standpoint ( you lose bow control if the paddling seat is too far aft) as aft placement makes steering akin to controlling a shopping cart pushed backward with fixed wheels forward.

But also more stable. You lose quite a bit of stability at narrower sternward stations ( or bow ward stations) as there is less room laterally before your head goes outbound of the gunwale. Head out of bounds, body follows. A big load however can provide stability.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 6:39 pm 

Peach Canoe wrote:
Hoop
I apologize for not adding the 6" increments as you requested. Here they are measured directly off one of my early proof hulls. The measurements are from hull skin to hull skin-- gunwale dimensions vary, so I don't include them. Typically, inner gunwales are about 1/2" aside.

Starting at centre and going toward a stem, they are roughly as follows in inches:

Centre or 0"... 27+"
6 ................... 27
12 ................. 26.7
18 ................. 26.2
24 ................. 25.5
30 ................. 24.6
36 ................. 23.5
42 ................. 22
48 ................. 20.4
54 ................. 18.4
60 ................. 16
66 ................. 13.5
72 ................. 11
78 ................. 7.7
84 ................. 4.5

The aft thwart is 21" aft of centre and the front thwart is 28.5" forward of centre.

I assure you the planform gunwales of this model are in fact segments of perfect circles. I drew the lines, made the prototype, made the plug, and made the mould.

It's possible to alter the the gunwale planform subtly when installing gunwales, thwarts, seats, decks, and flotation tanks-- but I don't think that's the case-- Clipper's work is First Class! The photo, however, does look a little skewed.

I hope this helps; if you have other questions, I will strive to answer in a more timely manner.

Yes this helps! First class, thanks PC! :D

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 11:46 am 

Lloyd, I'm gladdened you finally got Peach into production, albeit in a higher sided, widened form. I'll bet it's a fine hull for larger solo paddlers in riverene conditions. Clipper needs to focus on upscale laminates to make the hull competitive. Colden and Swift have 15 foot solos at 28 and 27 lbs respectively and NorthStar has one at 32. Savage River's nre Illusion, 13.75X29 will come in in the lower 20s. These are all top shelf constructions near $3K, but Clippers stated 44lb is half again the weight, ~ a 50% burden that brings it into RL weight ranges.

Last edited by Charlie Wilson on February 11th, 2016, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2016, 7:18 pm 

Hi Charlie. A lot of water has passed under the wet&dry paper since I last talked to you. And yes, I'm very happy to see my big Peach being produced-- and indeed this canoe is a serious river tripper for larger solo paddlers.

You have a good memory and a good eye: The dimensions of this boat grew a couple percent in a few areas from its first iteration; after I infused a few hulls (including the green one in the photo I sent you), I did some serious testing on the Bow River and decided I needed to modify the boat again.

I re-shaped the bilge and keel to yield a flatter and slightly broader shallow ellipse, and I increased the rocker. It took me another year. I know you know about those days in the shop when time is no longer measured in hours and days-- but rather, in seasons.

On the mould, there's a 2-inch vertical flange above the shoulder, so the stem-to-stem depth may be altered. I use 13.5 and 19.25, and Clipper uses 14 and 20.

I understand what you are saying about competitive weights, and I agree. The Clippers are beautiful hulls with robust layups; they are hand-laid and then bagged. The first run of hulls of the Caribou S are gel-coated, which adds about 5 LBS. There will be skin coats sometime in the future, and that will bring the weight down some for this technology.

The biggest weight issue for most of us is handling the canoe on land-- loading it on and off the truck, and portaging with a yoke or tump strap. Ten pounds doesn't matter much on the water, but it's significant on land-- ten pounds can make or break a single-run portage.

I respect your great depth of experience in this business, I appreciate your candour, and I thank you for your support on this project. Take care!

PostPosted: February 4th, 2016, 12:22 pm 

I hope Caribou does well. It is the largest of three new, symmetrical riverine solos; NorthStar's Phoenix in the middle and Savage River's new Illusion from three new designers: Marc Ornstein, Carl Yost and Lloyd Beule, in order by increasing hull size.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 5:09 pm 

That's an interesting new solo canoe, which has the depth and rocker for maneuvering heavy loads in moving water. I also like the symmetry, especially for a river canoe, after decades of some questionable asymmetrical designs.

I note the 4" water line beam is 30.625". I prefer 30.624" myself, but I could overlook that if the canoe could be made at ~30 pounds.

Too bad I'm unlikely to see the canoe in the eastern U.S. Good luck.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 1:18 am 

Charlie Wilson wrote:
Lloyd, I'm gladdened you finally got Peach into production, albeit in a higher sided, widened form. I'll bet it's a fine hull for larger solo paddlers in riverene conditions. Clipper needs to focus on upscale laminates to make the hull competitive. Colden and Swift have 15 foot solos at 28 and 27 lbs respectively and NorthStar has one at 32. Savage River's nre Illusion, 13.75X29 will come in in the lower 20s.

My outfitted Royalex Swift Raven weighs in at 65#. 46# sounds delightful. ;)

-SB