View topic - Gear weight for single-carry trip

It is currently November 15th, 2019, 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 12:15 pm 

The heaviest thing I pack is my idiosyncrasy. I will walk portages barefoot, but you won't put me in a hammock, unless the judge orders it. New Nomad - some day when I won't care about paying my debts any more. Neither about running rapids in under 30lbs boat. My skills are not honed enough to compensate for UL material.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 1:07 pm 

Sergey, you mentioned in your first post that you are quite comfortable humping that 108lbs, so the suggestions you've been getting apply to the future when you need/desire to carry less ... as you asked. So when your back says uncle, your pocket book says yes, and you're skill and confidence levels go up, maybe that new UL will be the way to go. (You can always line the new boat through the rapids you'd rather not challenge.)

Don't discount a hammock completely. I've just started sleeping in lay flat Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock and just love it.

Personally, I'm not keen on any more than 85-90lbs on a challenging portage, but I'm not as young as I once was.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 2:23 pm 

You are right, when time comes I'll cough out whatever's required to keep me going for another 5-7 years. Hammock is out of the question - I hate close quarters, especially in the wild. I used to sleep under a tarp till I went to Temagami and found out that not every campsite there is suitable for a tarp. As for challenging portages - if it's technical then I'm happy to double-carry. But if it's just a lo-o-ong road in the woods then my goal is to pack for single-carry.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:22 pm 

Last word on a bridge hammock, then I'll shut my pie-keyboard.

The sides are very low on my RR. If the tarp isn't set low to fend off a storm, I can look left or right and see the ground from 6ft to the horizon and 20ft to the horizon past my feet ... much less confining than a tent.

PS: There's no shoulder squeeze in a bridge hammock.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:54 pm 

What to do with no trees? Or weak trees? Part of my problem with hammock is that the bugs are too dense in the woods where trees are sufficiently robust for hammock tie off.
Or ( more often) there is one campsite in the whole trip where I know that bashing through the shoreline to find a hang spot is going to be hard ( tamarisks) ( Dense Superior shoreline)

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 10:41 pm 

^ Can't disagree that there are better options for sleeping on a beach or gravel bar.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 8:52 am 

open_side_up wrote:
^ Can't disagree that there are better options for sleeping on a beach or gravel bar.

I know there are pole options but i am no good at pole rigging!

I wish I could like my hammock

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 12:31 pm 

Never really cared for my Hennessy.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 1:08 pm 

Don't know much about hammocks, but from what I've seen I'd say small free-standing tent is the most versatile thing out there. If it fits under a tarp, it often gives an option of camping fly-less even in the rain. Also small footprint and little dependency on stakes (compared to the tarp) is big advantage on challenging campsites. What are the cons? For one, it's definitely not a hammock :)

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 1:50 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

There are lots of pluses to hammock camping, but in this case weight is not one of them. A Warbonnet Ridgerunner and tarp is going to weigh more than your 3 pound tent.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 4:16 pm 

MartinG wrote:
There are lots of pluses to hammock camping, but in this case weight is not one of them. A Warbonnet Ridgerunner and tarp is going to weigh more than your 3 pound tent.

... but not more than his 3lb tent and 3lb tarp. (but I agree that the spreader bars do make the RR heavier than gathered end hammocks)

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 6:15 pm 

My bivy sack weighs less, especially without the poles. I thinks it's the most versatile. I brought a tent last night to OSA Lake in Killarney and find it a nuisance to set up and tear down, and I had to use the flattest tent pad I could find rather than sleeping at the waters edge.
Anyway, not my point. I've been thinking about how often single carry questions come up, and I've never really made this point. I was reminded of it while carrying my wood and canvas canoe on a couple of trips this year. To me, it's not the weight of my gear and canoe that makes the difference, it's the comfort of the yoke and the management of my gear. I can carry my 65 lb canoe almost as easily as my 27 lb solo canoe if I adjust the thwart. With gear management, everything should be either in the pack or lashed to the canoe, not carried in the hand. And simple physics tells us that you shouldn't have any weight near the bow or stern - only closest to centre. Anything near the ends will bounce and feel like additional weight.

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 7:08 pm 

Bivy is okay for nice weather but in rain??
Gear management is important. During the trip I carry everything in my pack except for thwart pack with handy stuff and a water bottle, which also go into the pack on portage. That leaves 2 paddles which I carry lashed to the stern (when canoe is on my shoulders the blades rest on the carry thwart and the handles are lashed to the rear thwart) - this is very stable position, no bouncing.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2016, 5:07 am 

In your first post you mention that you use a GG Superior One Pack for your gear. Using a narrow solo canoe there is always (for me at least) the issue of fitting a larger pack into a solo canoe (in my case a Duluth Hudson Bay Pack, no way to put it flat into the space behind the seat in my Keewaydin 15, #4 Timber Cruiser works ok). How do you place the Superior One into your Nomad, flat, upright, on one of the side walls?

ATB
Heinz

PostPosted: November 7th, 2016, 9:46 am 

My Wabakimi (Ostrom ) pack fits in my Nomad on its side in the stern.. It still fits under the spray cover which has a little extra give.