View topic - Gear weight for single-carry trip

It is currently November 18th, 2019, 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 7th, 2016, 4:04 pm 

Impossible to put full Superior One flat into Nomad. Either sideways or upright, the latter is preferable, since this is how I pack it and I don't want to keep everything including food on its side for hours. Also its better for protecting the pack from dirt and bilge water, significant amount of which I carry sometimes (running numerous beaver dams, shallow rivers). I have no issues with the pack sitting upright in the stern, but if I move it to the bow (only in strong headwind), then I can't do hit and switch strokes any more.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2016, 6:16 pm 

Why not food on its side? Does food care?

I chuckle at the added load of bilge water and dirt.

Ive got a pack liner from Ostrom which solves that problem.

I've never thought of upright as there would be considerable wobble. I like things as close to the gunwale as possible. How do you deal with that?

PostPosted: November 8th, 2016, 10:20 am 

Chuckle I understand, but how exactly do you deal, for instance, with 2-3 hours of hiking of low-water creek without constantly getting in-out the boat? Clean the boat of mud and pebble every few minutes? Besides taking tons of time, sometimes there's not enough water to do the cleaning. And waterproof liners do not like dirt particles caught inside the pack.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2016, 2:51 pm 

Eddy Turn wrote:
Chuckle I understand, but how exactly do you deal, for instance, with 2-3 hours of hiking of low-water creek without constantly getting in-out the boat?

I take a better route. :rofl:

I couldn't handle the pack sitting upright either. Leaning could be a problem.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2016, 8:09 pm 

bearburrito wrote:
Eddy Turn wrote:
Chuckle I understand, but how exactly do you deal, for instance, with 2-3 hours of hiking of low-water creek without constantly getting in-out the boat?

I take a better route. :rofl:

I couldn't handle the pack sitting upright either. Leaning could be a problem.

O gee that was my thought too! Maybe its my age. :rofl:
Masochism isn't what I seek anymore

PostPosted: November 12th, 2016, 6:56 am 

Eddy Turn wrote:
Bivy is okay for nice weather but in rain??
Gear management is important. During the trip I carry everything in my pack except for thwart pack with handy stuff and a water bottle, which also go into the pack on portage. That leaves 2 paddles which I carry lashed to the stern (when canoe is on my shoulders the blades rest on the carry thwart and the handles are lashed to the rear thwart) - this is very stable position, no bouncing.

I always carry a small tarp to set up near the campfire on particularly rainy days. Sometimes I'll sleep under it, at least partially. I often sleep out in the open, in my bivy, in the rain with no issues, but I prefer to have the head area covered by the tarp or my canoe so that I can get in and out of it without getting the inside wet.

Shawn http://myselfreliance.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKi ... q2UJePJEog

PostPosted: November 13th, 2016, 12:02 pm 

Certainly, bivy can go anywhere, especially in combo with a tarp. But for me it 's too restricted to relax - to read a book or do the mending, you know. When I sleep under a tarp I prefer some kind of roomy netting to a bivy; of course it requires bigger tarp and that could be a problem, especially on some crown land campsites.