View topic - East slope Canadian Rockies river trip advice

It is currently October 21st, 2019, 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 17th, 2018, 8:35 am 

I've used myccr for years as a resource. Finally made an account. Thanks for all the terrific information provided here.

I would like some advice on a 3-5 day river trip on the east side of the Rockies in Alberta. I have paddled canoes for years. I have done a couple wilderness trips in Northern Saskatchewan, one lake trip, one rivers. I paddled the Fon Du Lac and Waterfound rivers with my son back in 2003. I would like to do a short trip this summer. I don't want to do anything more than class II. I've been poking around on the resources here. There are so many rivers to choose from, so I thought I would see what rivers are favorites for the paddlers here with more experience in the region. My priorities are mountain scenery and wildlife. I don't have any friends that are into paddling, so it would be solo trip.

Also, are there canoe clubs in the region that do trips in the summer I might could investigate?

PostPosted: March 17th, 2018, 4:58 pm 

North Saskatchewan from Nordegg down to Rocky Mountain House is a great 3 day trip and with both the Ram and Clearwater Rivers and numerous mountain creeks flowing into it there is some really nice fishing and exploring in the area. All rapids/ big waves can be skirted around. Rocky Mountain House down to Drayton is a 4 day trip with the foot hills in sight.
That's a start for you.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2018, 8:20 pm 

Thank you, Laura. I got that same river suggestion on canoetripping.com too. I'll be looking into that one.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2018, 9:50 pm 

Consider the Athabasca River from Old Fort Point near Jasper to Hinton.
Also the Bow River from below Lake Louise to Banff.