View topic - White water switching techinique tips!

It is currently November 21st, 2019, 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 1:20 pm 

Here is something for all you paddlers if you are taking up solo WW paddling.

Jessica Fox is the best overall female WW paddler in the world and her switching ability is simply amazing!

Yes it is in WW race boats but the switching techinique is just as important in open boats in WW.

Even though staying on one side is the traditional way, not everyone has the strength or flexabilty to be able to have efficient powerful strokes when doing cross bows (draws, Duffeks or strokes) and we all need ways to our time on the water more enjoyable (and in control :wink:

Jeff

Watch it direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwAr8Yu ... fIJwjlRWj8

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 3:33 pm 

Perhaps telling of my confidence recently in ww, I thought this thread said "WW Swimming Techniques Tips"!

I caught a short clip of recent ww slalom and noticed some switching of hands - it made me feel better for my temptation to do so! And I've been meaning to watch more.

When I had a chance to try some slalom I did eventually go to some switching, largely to change it up for tired muscles, but also to favour on-side moves. I was definitely interested to see that being done at top levels.

Same for challenging moves on ww runs: at times I'll choose my side based on a crux move where I want my power to be from my on-side, but I'd normally decide that ahead of time and run the full little section from that side. I don't think switching frequently is a great idea to teach beginners.

I've always been pro "stay on one side". I've definitely given other paddlers that advice. And I still would to many beginners who may be switching willy-nilly because they don't know what you're doing and have lost control - so there's switching (because of panic/frustration), and there's switching (because of strategy/efficiency). I guess it's a fine line, but I don't think it's apples to apples. I think you have to be patient with paddling on one on-side (with off-side strokes) to learn what your strokes and your boat are supposed to be doing. If you choose to make strategic switches once you're proficient, I think that's a different thing.

As an analogy, I'm sure there's stuff that professional race car drivers do that shouldn't be taught at driver's ed!

P.

p.s. I now watched the video, and she does state that people should first learn to paddle on an dedicated on-side (on both sides actually). I'm often surprised how many ww paddlers are not able to paddle at all on their bad side.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2019, 2:02 am 

jedi jeffi wrote:
Here is something for all you paddlers if you are taking up solo WW paddling.

Jessica Fox is the best overall female WW paddler in the world and her switching ability is simply amazing!

Yes it is in WW race boats but the switching techinique is just as important in open boats in WW.
[...]

Important too in touring canoes, especially the solo canoes!
Even when kneeling, as is shown so well here...

Dirk Barends

PostPosted: October 4th, 2019, 4:15 pm 

I have to admit that I didn't realize this was a popular technique in WW until watching the open canoe slalom in Minden this year. I've always paddled on the same side and relied on off side strokes while paddling solo, be it white water or multi day trips. I'm so unconditioned paddling on my left that when I started trying this switch I found myself rather uneasy. Something to work on in the spring.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 12:27 pm 

heresy!! as she said, for chicks only.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 3:52 pm 

I've seen this fairly frequently in the southern US, but have never given it a lot of thought, although as someone with a weak cross forward, I probably should have. Switching hands has the obvious debit of losing control while your hands switch, but has the advantage of paddling always on side. I think you would increase the weight transfer to the engaged chine, making the carve more effective. Not what Paddle Canada is teaching, but it obviously works.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2019, 8:08 pm 

it makes total sense really. it's so far beyond what PC is interested in as to be a different sport entire. PC has no stake at all in competitive ww slalom or any form of racing for that matter.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2019, 7:07 am 

My brother raced C-1 slalom at the international level for many years, beginning in the 1970s. He's told me that if he were starting over one thing he would do differently would be to learn to paddle with equal adeptness either side (this from someone I've watched paddle slalom courses backwards better than most of us can do going forwards...). I'm a good ww paddler but I am always aware of how accurately I can make moves on my strong side compared to my weak side.