View topic - Your first “ wilderness” solo canoe

It is currently May 6th, 2021, 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 18th, 2021, 4:29 pm 

Four decades ago but I started solo in a 18ft Coleman about 90 lbs and a huge rock grabbing keel.No real thwart just a hard steel bar.Tough times but good memories!

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 7:14 am 

Attachment:
Ellory.jpg

My first tandem trips were in this Ellory 40 years ago! We had less 'stuff' to carry then... and we were smaller.
Several years later it became my first solo canoe. It weighed 40 pounds when new, and like me has gained some weight over the decades.

It became a cottage canoe when Dave Connell built my 14' cedar strip in 1996.

Now the Ellory is looking for a new home. It's still beautiful on the inside, the outside has some cosmetic issues. Anyone interested?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 9:23 pm 

I made a lot of early canoeing memories soloing a fibreglass Cowen canoe. Thing was super tippy but it sure did go fast. Unfortunately it was beat on and trashed by a family member. A very painful ending.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 10:39 am 

I was incredibly spoiled but didn't quite realize it at the time. My very first canoe trip was a solo one with a great solo canoe. I was not yet a canoe tripper, but was a pretty seasoned outdoorsperson and was working in the bush in northwestern Ontario. There was a opening for some days off in between contracts so I contacted an outfitter in Red Lake and arranged a 5-day solo canoe trip in Woodland Caribou. They provided a Souris River Tranquility Solo canoe for me. That trip started my lifelong love affair with the canoe and wilderness canoe tripping.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 11:52 am 

My first solo canoe trip was along the Ottawa river, Starting in Crystal Bay and ending at what is now Morris Island Conservation. I was in a no name fiberglass canoe my dad bought from The Outpost store in the mid 70's. Heavy, but as a 14yr old you didn't care.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: April 21st, 2021, 9:03 am 

Might need a definition of “wilderness”. First tripping canoe, a tandem often paddled bow backwards, was a Montgomery Wards Sea King aluminum almost 50 years ago. The Sea Kings were my dad’s preferred WW canoes; plural, he destroyed a couple of them, including bending one in half on Snap Falls. That beast went with me on trips from Maine to Florida and everywhere in between.

ImageEK_0015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

ImageEK_0018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

First solo canoe was – ready for this – an Old Town Pack, bought in 1988 before leaving for a year long “radical sabbatical”. The Pack went coast to coast twice, including down the Rio Grande and up the Colorado and eventually became my duck hunting canoe, complete with camo spray covers.

Current favorite open tripping canoe is another plebian Old Town, a soloized ’03 Penobscot with sail and Cooke Custom Sewing spray covers. That well appointed canoe really has been everywhere, including a 22 day trip on the Green in Utah and coastal bays all over the east coast.

ImageP2180691 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr