View topic - Solo Stripper

It is currently November 21st, 2019, 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solo Stripper
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 12:23 pm 

The thread regarding the faster solo canoe prompted me to start this thread.

In the next few years I would like to build a solo tripping canoe. I also plan to build a tandem, but as I have a couple of those (Helman Prospector and Swift Winisk) the solo would be up first. My thoughts/need/requirements are:

-as fast as possible given the other design requirements
-I much prefer to sit then kneel, especially for extended times
-never have used a double blade in a canoe, but would consider
-for flatwater only, with minimal non-bumpy rivers
-quite likely to have a 50 lb dog with me
-would like a capacity of 350 lbs
-degree of difficulty in building is not really a concern, as I am well versed in working with wood, I have just never built a canoe before

I have found some sites with canoe plans, but any links would be appreciated. I have read a bit on this topic too, but would also appreciate ideas for books. At this stage I am just gathering information in readiness to build.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

Post subject: Re: Solo Stripper
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 12:38 pm 

I built the Ranger from Bear Mountain. I cannot say enough good things about it. I regularly out paddle tandem teams on flatwater. It is FAST

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 2:37 pm 

Thanks for that Dan. It does have the weight capacity I desire. It also sounds quite stable too. I have a couple questions about it if you don't mind.
-How do you paddle it? Keeled over, sit 'n switch, double blade? It does seem a bit wider then some solo canoes.
-Did you build it as a solo, with just one center seat, or as a double and just use the bow seat with canoe reversed?
-Any photos? :)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 2:40 pm 

Looking at the Bear Mountain site, I also saw the 15' 3" / 16' 2" Freedom Solo. It seems like a relatively new design. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience in regards to it.
LINK

My first inclination is to build a solo only canoe, but it might be nice to have it as a smaller day tripper for two.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 3:03 pm 

I built an Osprey which would suit all of your criteria except for the dog. If you intend to do any tripping with it, the dog will be too much. I built a Chestnut Pal last year, and it is a very nice large solo. Not as fast as the Osprey, but still pretty fast, I was able to stay with the tandem canoes, and i was fully loaded. I think as soon as you throw the dog into the equation, you are looking for a smallish tandem, if you intend to trip.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 3:04 pm 

Dan,
The Ranger is a symetrical boat. How can it be fast? :lol:
(BTW I built the Bear Mountain Prospector and it too a quick boat.)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 4:15 pm 

I would think:
http://www.greenval.com/nahanni.html
sounds to me just what you want.
but there could be others also.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 6:21 pm 

The Osprey does look like a good option, but I do see what you mean that it might not fit the dog. He doesn't absolutely have to come, but it sure would be nice some times. Who offers the plans for the Chestnut Pal? I can't seem to find it in the few bookmarks I have.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 6:31 pm 

Dan. wrote:
I built the Ranger from Bear Mountain. I cannot say enough good things about it. I regularly out paddle tandem teams on flatwater. It is FAST

Dan, I regret not having tried your Ranger when I had the chance. I'd like to say I have first hand experience with it before I open my mouth. That said, there is nothing about that particular canoe that leads me to believe it is a speed demon.

15' in length; 33 3/4" at the waterline; length/width ratio about 5.2; flattish bottom; very full ends (wide entry angle); lots of rocker; symmetrical waterline (we all know that means a boat is a dog); 26.8 sq.ft. wetted surface area.

The Ranger looks like a fine canoe.... for it's intended purpose. Stable? Sure. Maneuverable? Without question. Capacious? Well, it is a Prospector style canoe. But fast? C'mon.

The only thing making that boat fast is the big, strong 25 year old motor pushing it.

Dunkin', take a good long look at the lines on that Freedom Solo from Bear Mountain.

It's lines are very similar to a Bell Merlin II. Elliptical bottom, slack bilges, constant flare above the waterline (extraordinary final stability), shouldered tumblehome. It very close to the Bell but an inch wider and... it's a swede form boat (so it should fly). It has almost the same capacity (would be slightly more if only they filled out that bow).

Built at 16'2" (which is what I recommend) it should be even faster, with a length/width ratio of 7.2 and a wetted surface area around 23 sq.ft. Add in the fact that it is a stunning looking boat and it's all anyone would want in a strip built flat water solo canoe.

Now OTOH, if you plan on taking it where Dan likes to play.... :doh:

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 7:23 pm 

If you are looking for a larger solo you should consider the Shearwater. Plans are available. It is a bit slow when it is not loaded, because then it doesn't track very well and requires lots of correction stroke (at least at my skill level it does). But load it up and it tracks fine and remains very responsive.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 7:24 pm 

BK, that Freedom Solo really looks interesting to me, though I have been unable to find photos of it, or can I find someone who has finished one. Any ideas on where to look?

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 7:39 pm 

Is there a link to this Shearwater design. The only one I could find is for a plywood one.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 8:07 pm 

I thought Moonman on CCR here was building a Freedom Solo. Otherwise, you just have to look at the lines drawings and fill in the spaces (like a mental coloring book). No one on the Bear Mountain site has posted pics yet.

Not to show off my boats again, but the Freedom Solo could get the kind of treatment I used for my wife's pack canoe, with the shoulder coming to an edge and using a contrasting wood (I used walnut) for the tumblehome area. My next stripper will have the same type of shoulder tumblehome as the Freedom Solo has and I plan to do it this way:

FWIW, I have a beautiful Chestnut Pal that I plan to take the lines from and loft out full size to correct for any unfairness that may be present. When I am done you can get a copy of the offsets if you want to make a Pal. It will be a while though, lots of other projects need to be finished before the snow flies.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 10:10 pm 

BK, that is a great job you did with that canoe.

I will not be building this canoe for at least a year, as I too have lots on the go, including a major reno at my own house. I also want to spend the summer getting outdoors as much as possible. Right now I am in the gathering of information stage, learning the ins and outs of strip building. I have no concerns at all with my building capabilities as I have done tons of different things working with wood. The glassing though is something I will really have to bone up on. I would even like to take a course on it if I could.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 7:38 am 

You need to spend less time on the numbers. They don't mean a thing.

Why don't you come up to Canada this summer, we can do a weekend trip, bring a case or two of beer for ballast, and derive some entirely subjective data?

The cost of beer and gas says that my boat can keep up with anything human powered you can scare up. FWIW, I paddled last night with someone in my Necky Chatham 17 (look it up) and had no trouble keeping up.

Headwinds do require ballast.

Why is it so fast? I am not an engineer, but I expect the stiffness of the strip constuction has a lot to do with it. All my other boats are various sorts of plastic.

Remember that Dunkin' was not asking about boats for marathon racing or adirondack puddle hopping.

He asked for "as fast as possible given other design requirements."

The dog changes everything.