View topic - Feedback on 16' Langford Ranger

It is currently November 19th, 2019, 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 1:42 pm 

Anyone have any experience with this canoe? Seems to be a new model that was added to their lineup last year. In speaking to a rep at Langford, he stated that this canoe has overtaken 70% or their Prospector sales but I can't seem to find a single review online for the Ranger. In the Clearance section of their website, they state that they have several Rangers available.

http://langfordcanoe.com/2018/06/11/new-model-ranger-16/

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 8:22 am 

Well you aren't getting any feedback here which is unfortunate. I didn't want to be a negative nellie so I have not said anything yet, but personally I wouldn't buy Langford (new at least) because they don't actually seem to make canoes anymore they outsource all of their production.

See this recent thread of mine

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... &p=431165c

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 9:23 am 

I get that subbing out the manufacturing and then slapping your name on the product can rub people the wrong way - especially when we are talking about brands with historical significance. That aside, I recently paddled a Canot Rheaume 16-6 Prospector. According to their (ancient) website they are a "proud partner of Langford Canoe, Canada's oldest canoe company." What, exactly they do for Langford is not detailed. And I don't know that the model I paddled was off of a Langford mold or if it was a Rheaume original, but it had a design flaw that I couldn't get passed: Just past the stems, along the entry line, was an indented crease where the flotation tanks were installed.

As for the Ranger 16 specifically, I have nothing to offer other than my opinion based on Langford's own specifications. It's got a freakin' 38" beam! "...extreme capacity, stability, speed and efficiency" - those things usually don't go together. Either they are defying the laws of physics or this is some vessel.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 10:32 am 

I've seen numerous canoes with that same design flaw - not sure if it affects performance but it sure bugs me too :-)

I know my complaint with Langford can be seen as superficial - to me it is important though to have a manufacturer who knows their product inside and out.

I'm also an avid craft beer person and the same sentiment is common in that scene (contract brews)

Last edited by Prospector16 on September 16th, 2019, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 4:33 pm 

scratchypants wrote:
As for the Ranger 16 specifically, I have nothing to offer other than my opinion based on Langford's own specifications. It's got a freakin' 38" beam! "...extreme capacity, stability, speed and efficiency" - those things usually don't go together. Either they are defying the laws of physics or this is some vessel.

That was my first thought as well. I had to click back and forth to make sure that 38” beam spec was for the correct canoe.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2019, 12:29 pm 

Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. I have the same concerns with the design but was curious if anyone on here had experience paddling one.