View topic - Clipper Mac Sport size advice

It is currently September 23rd, 2020, 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 11:42 am 

Hello all,
I am very new to the canoe scene, in fact I don’t even own one yet.
I have plans to buy one this coming summer and I and trying to decide which model will suite my needs.

So it is a toss up between the Clipper Mac Stort 16.5 and the Mack sport 18. I plan to get a 2 or 4 hp outboard ( unsure which but leaning toward the Yamaha 4 ). I think the majority of use will be by myself fishing on the Stuart Lake BC near Fort saint James, but then I would like flexability to take the family out on excursions / day trips. I have a wife and small child with plans for another.

So here are some questions for anyone who owns either of these canoes. I would like fexability in using the canoe solo and with my family.

Would the 16.5 be too small for two adults and two small kids, possibly with a small amount of gear?

Would the 16.5 handle a 4hp motor weighing around 26 kg or would I have to go with a lighter motor?

Would the 18 be too large to handle by myself eg, putting it on top of car and launching it? Is an 18 foot canoe too hard to paddle by myself?

I would probably be sticking to flat open water and the occasional river (but no white water) . Is a Kevlar canoe worth the extra money? Only 16 lbs lighter on both models.

Let me know if you need any more info on my situation

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 1:32 pm 

16.5 may not be too small with the 2 small kids but they have a habit of growing! The 18 would be a better choice IMO because it'll be a few years before they outgrow it.

A 2hp motor will scoot an 18 right along. The 4 will be too big and clumsy. The extra weight will be difficult to counterbalance. Even the 2 hp on some sort of outrigger bracket will require an effort to counterbalance. Depending on the how long your trips with the motor will be, you might consider an electric trolling motor.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 2:37 pm 

wotrock wrote:
16.5 may not be too small with the 2 small kids but they have a habit of growing! The 18 would be a better choice IMO because it'll be a few years before they outgrow it.

A 2hp motor will scoot an 18 right along. The 4 will be too big and clumsy. The extra weight will be difficult to counterbalance. Even the 2 hp on some sort of outrigger bracket will require an effort to counterbalance. Depending on the how long your trips with the motor will be, you might consider an electric trolling motor.

I'm not too worried about balance as the canoe is a square back and if I have to add some weight to the front end when solo that's not a problem.

here is the link to the canoe
http://www.clippercanoes.com/boat_specs ... del_id=137

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 3:07 pm 

If you don't mind getting another boat in a few years then go for the 16.
Perfect fit for you right now. Smaller, lighter, and just right for space.

If everybody in the family keeps tripping with you as everyone gets older, then you're going to need more boat then. Jump up to the 18.

As far as motor, I'm gonna say smaller is better. Top speed between both is very close. 4hp for a canoe is a lot of power. I don't think a canoe is the best thing for wide open fast. (if you're using the motor to get out of trouble then you're already in trouble)

You probably won't be packing this boat far so I wouldn't think weight would be a factor. Also, if you want to re-sell, people are more apt to buy a cheaper glass layup than anything else lighter. (these models specifically)

Solo paddling would be much better in a smaller boat.
Tandem wouldn't matter.

Now that's all said and done…
I buy, sell, and trade canoes for fun here in Burns Lake.
I have an 18' Frontiersman flat back that needs a couple of patches.
It's not light but it's only a $100.00.

So if you're into a little glass repair this could be a very inexpensive way to try all this out with a larger boat.

Not trying to hard sell here, just giving you options.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 5:15 pm 

Thanks Canoeheadted,

That does sound very tempting, in fact it would be a great way to get on that water for cheap.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2020, 11:02 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-UjJkRN9cg

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 5:08 am 

2.5 hp Suzuki pushing a 17’ Mad River Revelation with a sea kayak outrigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPErEihIaes

Great little gas sipping engine with excellent reviews. That Suzuki is now pushing a 17’ x 44” square stern Esquif Cargo, and I don’t think it has ever been above half throttle.

BTW, dress warmly; it was chilly in the motorized wind up in the bow.