View topic - I am curious cord lock

It is currently August 1st, 2021, 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I am curious cord lock
PostPosted: May 31st, 2021, 7:57 am 

For those of you who have enjoyed previous silly shop experiments, I got curious about cord locks, especially when used in a marine environment. Six weeks of repeated salt water baths to stimulate corrosion on the springs, and exposure to the elements hanging outside was enough to provide conclusive results.

The winner, far and away, Sgt Knots cord locks

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Spring-Cor ... B01N7ZDXSV

The final results of the test, including busting the cord locks apart with a hammer.

https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... post125289

PostPosted: May 31st, 2021, 8:31 am 

Too much time on your hands, Mike? :lol: :D :wink:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2021, 11:21 am 

Good stuff Mike. We all know how those locks annoy us when you buy them, install them only to find out that they are useless, even without exposure (I always find the springs to be far too weak to be effective). I will try the Sgt Knots brand.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: May 31st, 2021, 1:46 pm 

I was curious, maybe a little sceptical. So I looked up "cord locks". I was still sceptical. So I ordered a package on-line. I tried them. Turns out I loved them . Then I bought the company!!

I did, really. I bought the ****ing company!

Mike, promise me, promise every paddler past, present, and future that you'll never stop conducting your product testing experiments!

PostPosted: May 31st, 2021, 2:16 pm 

wotrock wrote:

Screw it, I’m retired, I have a well appointed, well supplied (make of that adjective what you will), well organized and comfortable shop. Hell, I was born curious, and 35 years in research labs still didn’t cure me.

I use cord locks in a lot of applications, and knew from experience that some of them simply sucked eggs; not enough grip (cord size & aperture opening matters in that regard), or were simply too quick to fail, salt water exposure or not.

Or too wimpy to be useful; we have a couple relatively UL tents, the teensyweeny cords locks on the OEM stuff bags are useless. Teensyweeny itsybitty cord locks; looking at you, MSR.

Not yellow polka dotted sadly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KvHuOY_2Ig

Plus the shop has lately become a peculiar auditory refuge. The last-seen-in-2004 Brood X cicada noise outside is reaching crescendo. If unfamiliar with that noise, it’s the Phaser sound from Star Trek, but REALLY freaking loud, and coming from all directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmnUhy_fPsw

Even my tinfoil hat doesn’t help.

ImageP8140001 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The sound will get louder for the next week or so. Running fans for “white noise” works well enough.

Thanks for the curiosity reminder. The next (final) paint coat on a couple boats will have a new-to-me pricey “Performance Enhancer” added. I’ll need some place to squeeze of the paint remains on the foam roller when done, and grabbed another test panel to lay down test coats of black and white “enhanced” topside paint to add to the exposure tests.

ImageP5010004 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Expect final results of the paint exposure test in 3 to 5 years. Way too much time on my hands.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2021, 4:41 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
wotrock wrote:

Screw it, I’m retired, I have a well appointed, well supplied (make of that adjective what you will), well organized and comfortable shop. Hell, I was born curious, and 35 years in research labs still didn’t cure me.

well endowed perhaps?? :D

On a more serious note, I think all children are born curious. I also think one of the primary duties of a parent is to do all they can to see that their children become adults with their curiosity still intact. Regrettably, my interactions with my fellow 'man' shows that all too many parents were unsuccessful in this regard.

Now I am curious, Perfesser MM, as to what you did in the lab?

PostPosted: June 1st, 2021, 10:13 am 

martin2007 wrote:
I was curious, maybe a little sceptical. So I looked up "cord locks". I was still sceptical. So I ordered a package on-line. I tried them. Turns out I loved them . Then I bought the company!!

Martin, am I missing some reference, or did you actually buy Sgt. Knots?

If so, congratulations. That is the kind of company I prefer to do business with, small, family owned, high quality products.

I’m looking at Sgt Knots for marine grade bungee and perimeter line for a couple sea kayaks now under rehab in the shop.

wotrock wrote:

Damn near everything:

1975-77: Center for Vaccine Development . Human Research Volunteer (read “Paid Guinea Pig for vaccine trials”). You name it, I’ve had it, or had an experimental vaccine for it. Once I had received every vaccine then under investigation I met with the Director, literally turned my empty pockets inside out and said “I need a real job”. Never has a life turned so much on five simple words.

1977 – ’88: CVD. Lab assistant, lab technician, Stool Nurse on quarantined cholera challenge studies (I learned to take shit, literally, weight it and grade it 1 through 5. Hows that for TMI?), Recruiter, “Special Projects Manager” mostly laboratory moves and renovations.

1989 – 2013: Medical Biotechnology Center/Institute of Human Virology. Project Manager for design and construction of three laboratory buildings, later Facility Manager for the largest of them.

2014: Free at last, free at last, thank gawd almighty I’m free at last (retired)

PostPosted: June 1st, 2021, 4:24 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
martin2007 wrote:

wotrock wrote:

Damn near everything:

1975-77: Center for Vaccine Development . Human Research Volunteer (read “Paid Guinea Pig for vaccine trials”). You name it, I’ve had it, or had an experimental vaccine for it. Once I had received every vaccine then under investigation I met with the Director, literally turned my empty pockets inside out and said “I need a real job”. Never has a life turned so much on five simple words.

1977 – ’88: CVD. Lab assistant, lab technician, Stool Nurse on quarantined cholera challenge studies (I learned to take shit, literally, weight it and grade it 1 through 5. Hows that for TMI?), Recruiter, “Special Projects Manager” mostly laboratory moves and renovations.

1989 – 2013: Medical Biotechnology Center/Institute of Human Virology. Project Manager for design and construction of three laboratory buildings, later Facility Manager for the largest of them.

2014: Free at last, free at last, thank gawd almighty I’m free at last (retired)

Some of the anti-vaxxers had a little demo---said they opposed to putting foreign substance into their body, might be poisonous. But then they lined up at the hot-dog stand for lunch!! :lol:

Being the philosophical type I though you might comment on my response re curiosity.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2021, 4:36 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Some of the anti-vaxxers had a little demo---said they opposed to putting foreign substance into their body, might be poisonous. But then they lined up at the hot-dog stand for lunch!! :lol:

Being the philosophical type I though you might comment on my response re curiosity.

I’ve been doing a lot of philosophizing over the past year. Mostly quietly to myself; I didn’t care to be the Town Crier singing gloom and doom. I knew this pandemic was going to be bad, really bad. I’m not the sharpest tack in the box, but 39 years around infectious diseases and vaccines taught even me something.

I was damn near a hermit pre-Covid, and the two things I missed most in weekly life most have returned. Fully vaccinated, now with restrictions easing, life is getting back to my version of normal.

For the first time in 15 months I had breakfast at the country diner this morning, where everyone knows my name (Think Norm in the sit-com Cheers). And yesterday was able to walk into the public library and scour the New Non-Fiction shelves.

I am a simple man, and those were two of my simple weekly pleasures. I got three new books at the library, and ordered my favorite special from my favorite waitress at the diner; The Grande; two pancakes, two eggs as you like ‘em, and side of Scrapple, bottomless coffee. After 15 months of no-business you bet I tipped a crazy amount on the tab.

Yeah, I’m worried about taking a freaking vaccine.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2021, 9:35 am 

Yes, a reference to an 80's-era ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47nzAU4PHo

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 10:16 am 

martin2007 wrote:
never stop conducting your product testing experiments!

I had forgotten that classic Remington shaver add.

As you wish, although I may finally be at a stopping point with the cord lock tests. More cord lock experiments, this time with various diameter bungee cord and 1mm, 2.2mm and 3mm cord.

https://www.canoetripping.net/forums/fo ... post125899

TLDR: The more spring compression the better, no matter the size of the cord or bungee. Sgt. Knots was the overall winner, but the rectangular YKK cord lock was uniquely grippy on Zing-it Dyneema cord.

And I finally got rid of the useless OEM cord locks on our MSR tent bags, something I should have done years ago.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 4:39 pm 

Just wondering how much we can trust your results. Is your lab ISO 9001 or 2 certified perchance?? :D