View topic - Rain Kilt

It is currently July 24th, 2021, 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rain Kilt
PostPosted: June 18th, 2021, 9:59 pm 

I’m thinking on replacing my rain pants with a rain kilt. Does anyone here have experience with this and can comment on pros and cons in relation to canoe trips?

Post subject: Re: Rain Kilt
PostPosted: June 19th, 2021, 9:41 am 

I've been using one (silnylon) for a few years now. They weigh a couple ounces, pack down to fit in the palm of your hand, and allow for great ventilation. I wear Chota Hippies under it. Great while paddling or moving around in open areas, not so great walking through tight bush as it catches easily on branches. Two thumbs up from me. Cheers.

Ubique

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 10:36 am 

Never knew there was such a thing as a rain kilt, and I’m not sure I see the pros and cons over rain pants.

Pros? Way less expensive. Small, lightweight, good ventilation. I’m guessing you can don the kilt without takes boots off?

Cons? Still need a rain jacket. Still need something from the knees down, so rain doesn’t drain down my calves into your boots? Is there a puddle in your lap if sitting? Mostly, how would it be during a swim?

I never liked wearing a poncho in the canoe; too much loose fabric that might get snagged on something, seat bolt or strainer, in a capsize, and never liked how clammy a poncho could against bare skin.

That said the Missus doesn’t like wearing raingear, and has a birthday coming up. Might be just the ticket.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 11:21 am 

Mike, yes, you can don/doff the kilt without taking anything else off.

There are several different brands available. Some made of Deenema apparently. Mine is made by ULA, and it is 28" long.

It is held on fairly lightly, with an elasticized velcro attachment at the waist, and another partway down the overlap opening. The opening overlap is worn at the back, and if you need to take an extra long step, like over a log on a portage, the velcro at the overlap point is designed to give way so as not to impede your leg movement and trip you.

I am certain that any kind of tug would pull it completely free of the body, and I can't see it as an entrapment issue within the canoe in the event of a dump. I expect that it would just stay on during a swim, and if it got caught on anything, it would pull away very easily. Personally, I would never wear a poncho in a canoe, but a kilt doesn't carry the same risks.

I don't see needing a rainjacket with a kilt as a con against the kilt. Rain pants need rain jackets as well.

It has a small velcro topped pouch sewn into the inside of it, so that it stuffs into its own tiny stuff sack.

I generally kneel on a pedestal, and so pooling in my lap while in the canoe is not an issue. The Chota Hippies waders keep the bottoms of my legs dry, while the kilt allows great ventilation.

I believe that they were first used by Through (long distance) hikers on multi-state trails in the US, and from what I've read, they are often worn with gaiters which keep the footwear dry, and the hikers just let their lower legs get wet. I run hot, and unless I am just sitting static, rain pants generally make me almost as wet as being rained on. It was an inexpensive trial, and it worked, so I kept it.

For those times when a passing shower yields to sunshine again when you are on the water, it sure is nice to be able to just reach down and pull the kilt off in a second.

Cheers!!

Ubique

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 12:57 pm 

My main question is---does a canoeist wear anything under his kilt?? :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 2:35 pm 

Guyfawk. Thanks for the detailed answer.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2021, 2:36 pm 

Well Wotty, if it's a "he", along with whatever else he may or may not be wearing,
he'll have a drybag under the kilt. (cue rimshot)

Ubique

PostPosted: June 21st, 2021, 3:33 am 

:rofl: